Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SABRE imx6q USB otg port input problem

il_mix
Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I have the MCIMX6Q-SDB board.

I can't let the USB OTG input to work again, both with and without the HUB, with the "default" Android SD or my Linux build.

At the moment I'm using an USB adapter like this one

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Micro-Female-Male-Adaptor/dp/B0023FTRUO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=U...

The keyboard won't even turn on its leds (Bloc Num, ...).

I've plugged in the keyboard befor turning the device on, after the boot process, during the boot process, but it never worked.

Is it possible that something was malfunctioning on the board? Any suggestion about further tests?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Forgot an important side note...

The USB port works correctly for uploading the SD card OS. So MfgTools on windows works correctly: the SABRE is seen as a HID device.

Looks more like an USB "input" problem.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

il_mix
Contributor II

Here we are.

It turned out that Vladan was correct (actually, I hadn't tried a micro A cable).

OTG USB ports let the SABRE act as a device (like when you connect it on PC for uploading an OS on the SD card), as well as a host for intefaces (keyboard, mouse, ...). The problem is that the port works in one of the two ways given the state of USB pin 4. If it is floating, like in most of micro B USB connectors (cables, adapters and so on), the port let the board act as a device. If the pin is set to GND (like in micro A USB connectors, and in so called micro A/B, and some specifical purpose micro B connectors), the board acts as host for the plugged interfaces.

As a teporary solution, I've added a jumper on the board to put this pin to GND when I need to use it as host.

0 Kudos

il_mix
Contributor II

Update

I've loaded the Linux images L3.0.35_4.0.0_DEMO_IMAGE and L3.0.35_4.1.0_DEMO_IMAGE_BSP, downloaded from Freescale site, and in both cases the USB won't work.

0 Kudos

VladanJovanovic
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You will need USB 2.0 A female to micro A male adapter.

0 Kudos

il_mix
Contributor II

Well, it is. I suppose... (I always confuse USB types)

Here some better views

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Male-Female-Adapter/dp/B0027YYMU6/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&q...

Everything fits, so it sure is the right adapter.

In the terminal log (attached) it seems that the USB is configured and should run (talk about "USB OTG driver  loaded", "USB HUB found", "usbhid: USB HID core driver"...). As already said, when I attach a keyboard (or if I plug it in before powering the board), directly or via HUB, nothing happens.

The SD has Android R13.4.1.

0 Kudos

VladanJovanovic
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It is not. The text on page that you linked to shows clearly it is "USB A (Female) connector to USB Micro B (Male) connector". It should be USB A female to micro A male .

0 Kudos

il_mix
Contributor II

Uhm... the SABRE USB connectors are actually micro B female connectors. The quick start guide states "A micro B male to A female adapter cable may be needed". An that's what I got. Also the cable shipped with the board is a micro B to standard A.

0 Kudos

VladanJovanovic
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

That is fine if you want your SABRE board to work as USB device (as it is when you connect it to your PC, and that works fine as you say). But when you connect keyboard to SABRE, SABRE needs to act as host. Hence you need the other adaptor (or then the USB peripheral should have the correct USB OTG connector).

0 Kudos

il_mix
Contributor II

On page 8 of the Quick Start Guide, in chapter "Setting up the System -> 4. Connect User Interface Devices" it written that a micro B male to A female is needed to plug a mouse/keyboard or a USB HUB.

Who do I have to trust? :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos