Can P&E USB Multilink Universal be detected by CW6.3?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can P&E USB Multilink Universal be detected by CW6.3?

jimji
Contributor I

Hi, I have a PE Universal USB Multilink but can not use it with CW6.3. It always shows "No USB connection found" when I try to debug.

But my CW6.3 works quite well with PE's USB-ML-CFE. So I doubt is there any update need to be done for CW6.3.

I also setup CW3.1 on my laptop and at the beginning it met the same issue. Then I downloaded a USB Service Pack for it and solved the problem.

But I haven't found any USB update for CW6.3 on freescale.com.

Does anyone know the solution?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The problem is that CW6.3 for ColdFire is a very old tool. Universal Multilink is a new tool and CW6.3 does not recognizes the firmware that U-Multilink has.

In order to use U-Multilink you must use newer CW versions such as CW7.2 (You need CW7.2.1 and CW7.2.2 patches) or CW10.x.

You can find CW7.2 and it's patches in the next link:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=CW-COLDFIRE&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_T...

You can also download C10.5 from the next link:

www.freescale.com/CWMCU10

Hope this helps.

jimji
Contributor I

Thanks for your reply.

I've setup CW7.2 and now the U-Multilink can be detected.

Then I used it to open a project created by CW6.3. Several link error occurs:

"Link error : Unexpected relocation R_68K_SDA16: __SDA_BASE not set in file limb.a e_exp.o"

"Link error : Unexpected relocation R_68K_SDA16: __SDA_BASE not set in file limb.a e_fmod.o"

"Link error : Unexpected relocation R_68K_SDA16: __SDA_BASE not set in file limb.a e_log.o"

"Link error : Unexpected relocation R_68K_SDA16: __SDA_BASE not set in file limb.a e_log10.o"

I've tried several methods got from forum such as change the code mode to smart(16/32 bit) and clear the "use .sdata /.sbss for". But none of them works. Is there any guidance about converting the older version of projects to CW7.2?

Thank you!

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos

jimji
Contributor I

I deleted all 'ALIGN(0x8)' in .lcf file and now no link error occurs. I don't know the reason but it works.

Thanks for your strongly support.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Before Migrate to Codewarrior 7.x from a previos 6.x version I strongly recommend to read the TN256 installed in your C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for ColdFire V7.x\Help\PDF\ directory.

The possible solutions can be:

- Try to force 32 bits addresses for .text (.text is memory section for application code)

- Transfer parameters on 32 bits always (= standard) not on reduces size when this is possible (= compact),

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

what chip do you work with?

you use CW6.3 for Coldfire v2-v4  or  CW6.3 for MCU?

0 Kudos

jimji
Contributor I

CW6.3 for Coldfire and the chip is MCF5207CVM166.

0 Kudos