cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance calculation using inertia/accelerometer sensor

Embionics
Contributor III

Hello,

Take example of Robotic arm or toy car. I know the starting position. Since then I would like to measure the motion (in distance format) of the object in XYZ direction. Is it possible through the inertia or accelerometer  sensor? if yes how?

Regards,

Amreen

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Martin35804
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In physics, acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of a body changes with time. Then the velocity is the rate at which the displacement (distance) of a body/solid changes with time. So acceleration is the second derivative of displacement. Vice versa by integration of acceleration over the time you will get velocity (speed). And then by integration again of the velocity over the time the displacement (distance) will be obtained.

Check out the application note AN3397 for implementing position algorithms using accelerometers:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/app_note/AN3397.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=2

0 Kudos

Wlodek_D_
Senior Contributor II

Hello Amreen,

Yes, it is possible. Distance value you will get after double integration of acceleration value, as acceleration is derivative of velocity, and velocity is derivative of displacement (distance). In case of doubts please refer to physics textbook, or to article in Wikipedia (Acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) .

I believe this can help in your further considerations.

Best Regards,

Wlodek_D.

0 Kudos