First BootLoader !!! Do I need a OSJTAG on a proto for the first upadate ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First BootLoader !!! Do I need a OSJTAG on a proto for the first upadate ?

joelesco
Contributor III

Hi everybody !  I come back again with a  stupid question but ... really problematic for me :smileyhappy:

I'll made a prototype with a K20 and other stuff like display. I will communicate to MCU by the UART. I would like to know if when I will try to update the

the final mass production of the MCU flash image with bootloader capability

I can directly made it by the UART PORT ? Cause I remember a similar case when I studied PIC18, and it was really problematic cause it wasn't possible  !

I hope someone have already do that !

Thanks !

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

joelesco
Contributor III

I am aware that my request was not clear . That's why I'll try to explain my problem in a better way !

I want to start a prototype with a Kinetis K20 and for the beginning only an UART communication.

So my problem is this one : the first time when you want to put the C  code on the MCU you need to communicate but what 'is the best solution ?Made a simple schedule and comme with a Flash programmer like this one :http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320143 to be able to use the boot loader with the serial PORT the next time  ?

People who use it in the industry what do they do ?

thanks !

0 Kudos

thomasgrieger
Contributor III

Hi Joe,

it depends on your goals and the actual situation.

prototypes/development:

Normally one would use the JTAG/SWD interface to flash new versions of the software, especially in the early stages of development. Even if a bootloader is available it is possible to use the JTAG/SWD interface as it is much faster than UART communication.

mass production:

In mass production one uses the EzPort to flash the bootloader and the the application in one pass. The bootloader is only used to update the software after production.

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos

joelesco
Contributor III

Thank you Thomas for those informations !

I think I will first work with the JTAG/SWD interface ! But I ve look the EzPort and looks interesting !

I don't want to ask much but if you know where i can find a simple schematic exemple for the connectic. I'm interested :smileyblush:

It's a stupid question but I suppose I need a flash programmer also ?

Best regards,

Joe

0 Kudos

pavel_krenek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Joe,

I can recomend you the bootloader AN2295 which was created by our team and it is available for Kinetis portfolio. If you want to do with any prototype board you will need some flash programmer based on JTAG or SWD. We also offers the Freedom board for Kinetis K20 which includes flash programmer (debugger)  with programming interface OpenSDA.

This is the link for Freedom K20 platform, there is also an schematic etc.

https://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=FRDM-K20D50M

Regards,

Pavel

0 Kudos

rogerfl
Contributor III

I think you have 3 options for loading the boot loader:

1. SWD

2. JTAG

3. EzPort

(There is a section on each of these in ref manual.)

None of these are a UART.

Select your method based on which debugger interface tool you want to use.  I'm selecting JTAG for my application because it seems to have the most tools that support it. I plan to use the PE Micro USB Multilink Universal.

Looking forward to hearing other opinions, like what are the trade-offs between the above three.

0 Kudos

joelesco
Contributor III

Okay !

But the AN2295(http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2295.pdf) if I understand ( cause I'm french and my english is really bad ! ) said that it's possible to use the UART to loading the BootLoader ! But my problem is for the first loading. What s the way to send the first time the code ?

I'm so sorry, I would like to explain better but ....

Thanks Roger :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos