Vybrid tower board, can't download >128KB code into SRAM via CMSIS-DAP (DS-5)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vybrid tower board, can't download >128KB code into SRAM via CMSIS-DAP (DS-5)

Jump to solution
garrulus
Contributor I

Using DS-5 / CMSIS-DAP to download more than about 128KB of code into SRAM of the Vybrid tower board (TWR-VF65GS10) fails with the following error message:

ERROR(CMD16-TAD11-NAL22):

! Failed to load "my_project.axf"

! Failed to write 155,352 bytes to address S:0x3F000000

! General error on memory or register access.

If I switch to a higher level of optimisation, and reduce code size to ~121KB, the code loads and debugs normally.

Is this a known limitation?  I was hoping to be able to debug up to the compiler limit (256KB).

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

We were able to reproduce this issue: trying to debug a binary with CODE section > 128KB resulted in the above error. This appears to be a limitation either with MQX or the CMSIS-DAP firmware. If increasing optimization for the project does not cause any issues while debugging, we would recommend using that for the time being.

Thanks,

Timesys Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

We are currently looking into this issue and are attempting to reproduce. We should have an update tomorrow on the status.

Thanks,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

We were able to reproduce this issue: trying to debug a binary with CODE section > 128KB resulted in the above error. This appears to be a limitation either with MQX or the CMSIS-DAP firmware. If increasing optimization for the project does not cause any issues while debugging, we would recommend using that for the time being.

Thanks,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

Was this resolved or is this bug still alive?

0 Kudos
garrulus
Contributor I

Fixed by upgrading CMSIS-DAP firmware in Tower board.  I also updated DS-5.

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

What version of CMSIS-DAP did you upgrade to? Where did you get the latest firmware from? I tried upgrading last month and the new firmware didn't work, so I had to flash back to the old version.

I just checked the version that's on Freescale's website (http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/software/board_support_packages/TWR-VF65GS10-QSP.zip) and the .S19 file inside is still dated Sept 16, 2012.

Which version of DS-5 did you upgrade to? v5.17? Did you upgrade from v5.16?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
garrulus
Contributor I

As best I can remember, the combination which worked was DS-5 v5.16 and the CMSIS-DAP firmware found in this thread:

https://community.freescale.com/thread/314169

.. which is dated 17 Oct 2013.

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

Thanks. I just downloaded that version of CMSIS-DAP.S19 from the other thread. I'm glad that DS-5 v5.16 works for you because I read here in this forum that v5.17 has new bugs.

0 Kudos
garrulus
Contributor I

Thank you.  I am not using MQX, so this must be an unfortunate limitation of the CMSIS-DAP firmware.

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Perfect, thanks.

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport are you available to help on this question?

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport do you have any comment about this question?

0 Kudos