Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSPAUDIOEVM with DSP56371 How to control via RS232

Jump to solution
rvdv2001
Contributor I
Hi,
I'm working with a EVM motherboard and a 371 daugtherboard.
It's the intention to work without the framework. And I'm currently running a passthrough application
debugging is done via Parallel port.

I now want to implement the a 10BandEquilizer like in document DSP56311_Implementing10BandsEqualizer.pdf

Problem is to change settings.
Is it possible to control the application via RS232 ?
RS232 is connected via the DEBUG MPU to SHI of the DSP. But I canot change the code of the MPU.

Another question: is the 56371 allready supported by codewarrior? And does it bring a contribution?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
1 Solution
david_dicarlo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
The RS232 port on the DSPAUDIOEVMMB1 is connected to a microcontroller, not directly to the DSP.  It serves as an asynchronous to synchronous serial translation device for use with the Symphony Debugger (SDI).  The communication protocol has not been made public, since the protocol is largely connected to the internal operating system in the ROM.  The best bet to achieve serial communication between a host PC and the DSP is to use a USB or RS232 to SPI or I2C adapter, connecting that directly to the SHI port on the 56371.

There is no CodeWarrior support for the 563xx family of 24-bit DSPs.  The only tool suite currently available is Suite56.  There is a new tool suite based on Eclipse that is coming out later this year.  It offers USB debugging support in addition to the legacy parallel port.  A port of the GNU C compiler is included with eventual support for Altium's C compiler.

As a side note, to port the 56311EVM graphic equalizer code to the 56731, you need to consider these peripheral differences between the two:  The 371 has a very different PLL and method of programming it.  The SHI is a synchronous serial peripheral only whereas the SCI on the 56311 has synchronous and asynchronous modes.  The ESAI's on the 56371 are very different from the ESSI's on the 56311.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
david_dicarlo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
The RS232 port on the DSPAUDIOEVMMB1 is connected to a microcontroller, not directly to the DSP.  It serves as an asynchronous to synchronous serial translation device for use with the Symphony Debugger (SDI).  The communication protocol has not been made public, since the protocol is largely connected to the internal operating system in the ROM.  The best bet to achieve serial communication between a host PC and the DSP is to use a USB or RS232 to SPI or I2C adapter, connecting that directly to the SHI port on the 56371.

There is no CodeWarrior support for the 563xx family of 24-bit DSPs.  The only tool suite currently available is Suite56.  There is a new tool suite based on Eclipse that is coming out later this year.  It offers USB debugging support in addition to the legacy parallel port.  A port of the GNU C compiler is included with eventual support for Altium's C compiler.

As a side note, to port the 56311EVM graphic equalizer code to the 56731, you need to consider these peripheral differences between the two:  The 371 has a very different PLL and method of programming it.  The SHI is a synchronous serial peripheral only whereas the SCI on the 56311 has synchronous and asynchronous modes.  The ESAI's on the 56371 are very different from the ESSI's on the 56311.

0 Kudos