AnsweredAssumed Answered

"new" in C++ does not create code on the heap

Question asked by donden on Aug 5, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 by donden

I have created a C++ project in Codewarrior 10.3 targeting Kinetis K61FN1M0VMJ12.  I am attempting to do a Bootloader that will reprogram Flash in the field.  I need to instantiate my Flash class in RAM so it can perform flash erase and write operations.  However, using "new" only creates a RAM pointer to the flash-based code.  How can I get the class (about 1200 bytes long) onto the heap?

I am using "new" in C++ with the intent of creating a copy of a class on the heap. The location on the heap is necessary for hardware reasons in writing to Flash memory.  I am using:

static Watchdog *wd;

Flash    *flash;

wd = new(std::nothrow) Watchdog;

flash = new(std::nothrow) Flash();

The problem is that the only thing that ends up in RAM is the pointer.

I am using gnu C++ compiler chain on eclipse for Codewarrior.  Does anyone know of a compiler directive that is causing the problem, or that would actually create an instance on the stack?  All the manuals I have indicate that “new” should instantiate the object on the heap.

BTW, Watchdog *wd is used by  various functions in the main.cpp file.  Flash *flash is used in two or three files that need special access to Flash registers in the processor.

Regards,

Don DenTandt

Outcomes