changing project in CW 10.4

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing project in CW 10.4

paulbrooking
Contributor II

Hi I am new to CW, a thing I don't understand is switching between projects. For example I often want to switch to a completely new project to debug a small part of the project without changing anything in the main project.

I can't find any way to switch the IDE between projects, I can see how to close a project under the project menu (but this does not appear to have closed all connections to the old project), but how do I open a new project (this option is greyed out).

I have made several projects with the wizard in different project folders as guided by the wizard, but the way they behave seems all mixed up, for example the console output tab is now showing the name of a project I have just closed.

What am I doing wrong ?

Paul

Labels (1)
6 Replies

paulbrooking
Contributor II

Thanks Marius and Erich,

I understand now, I will use a different workspace for each project. I had thought wrongly that a workspace is where more than one project could be kept.

Paul

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

actually, a workspace can hold *many* projects! So no need in my view to have multiple workspaces. I have a workspace with >40 projects, for different targets and with different settings.

The workspace contains 'common' settings. If you have multiple workspaces, you end up with different settings if you do not copy the settings too. See Copy my workspace settings | MCU on Eclipse

I hope this helps.

paulbrooking
Contributor II

Hi Erich,

The problem I was having was that the IDE seemed to be not distinguishing between the different projects, but at that stage I had not discovered how it is possible to open and close the project folder with project/close and open ; is that what I was doing wrong. So if I have closed projects in the work space they will have any effect ?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

if you close a project in the workspace, then it is 'not visible' for the IDE. It means that it is as this project does not exist. E.g. if you search something like 'in all files or projects' of a workspace, then no results will show up for the closed projects.

So close is like filtering out a project. Closing has the additional benefit that Eclipse does not track/monitor that project. While you can easily have say 100 projects in a workspace, each of them is using some dynamic Eclipse memory. Just having the ones open you are really interested in and working on reduces the Eclipse RAM footprint and improves performance.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

not sure what you are asking for.

To close a project, select that project and use the context menua. To open it again, you can use the context menu on the project again.

Another way is to use working sets, see Eclipse Working Sets Explained | MCU on Eclipse

marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if I understood the question/use-case, but please make a try using the "Switch workspace" feature (File-> Switch workspace), maybe is what you need. You can make projects in different workspace and work independently on every workspace, without needing to close the unused projects.

Regards,

Marius