AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to create 2 MQX timers at different priority levels?

Question asked by Tim Hutchinson on Jul 10, 2013

Hi All,

I'm trying to create to separate timers that run at different priority levels so that the higher priority level timer can preempt the lower priority one. I use a 100mS timer to do very quick chores (like servicing some leds and some counters) and I use a 5mS timer to do a chore that could take some time to complete. I would like the 100mS timer interrupt to preempt the 5mS timer so leds blink at a consistent rate and counters are serviced at a consistent rate.

I currently create a timer like this:

lError = _timer_create_component(3, 1024);     //Timer component at priority(3) with a 1K stack

if(lError == MQX_OK)

timer_5ms = _timer_start_periodic_every(INT_1msTimer, 0, TIMER_ELAPSED_TIME_MODE, 5);

If I want a second timer at a different priority, I don't think I can do this?:

lError = _timer_create_component(2, 8192);     //Timer component at priority(2) with a 8K stack

if(lError == MQX_OK)

timer_100ms = _timer_start_periodic_every(INT_100msTimer, 0, TIMER_ELAPSED_TIME_MODE, 100);

But, if I just call _timer_start_periodic_every() a second time without creating a new component I would get a second timer at the same priority as the first timer right? But creating 2 timer components is not correct right? So what would be the proper way to do this? Thanks for suggestions!

~Tim

Outcomes