Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load u-boot with JTAG

Jump to solution
rajtantajtan
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a Segger J-Link and openocd and got a connection running with my imx28evk-board.

Now I want to load U-boot to memory with JTAG so I can run it directly and not have to read it from sdcard, however I haven't found any documentation on how to do this. I have moved the switches to JTAG boot mode and tried to follow something like this guy did https://community.nxp.com/message/307083

but the only output I got from my evk-board was this:

U-Boot 2013.07-rc2-00023-ga544ead (Jul 04 2013 - 15:30:51)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX28 rev1.2 at 454 MHz

BOOT:  Û_©ÌÚ^)×

´®»!2¡ vm^

Á

;b2&¿ù1LÉ~éJ

`m

ÆãäÉê$1³ÿbd軼vþ¾_^Ò­o?+k

ÃÊôã»ÆZPÜxÿ¥

¸'pfE¾¤à®zÇt¹5Ù,HíÈ&>©ãsë¢ö]®mïÃþòÏÛk=-_ÎÙ®|~   £Gô'?J;î-

R¯CabsRØäÿkèDk2:Gfø^Âù­µüÄù¾

ʶ"¼÷ñÛÕxÞfêÈ

As you may notice I have compiled mainline U-boot and it seems to start but then turns into random crap. Do you have any idea of what I'm doing wrong here?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
5 Replies
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
rajtantajtan
Contributor I

Yes, there is very good documentation on how to make mx28 boot in u-boot's documentation.

0 Kudos
rajtantajtan
Contributor I

After I done my homework I found out that u-boot should not be loaded directly to RAM with JTAG. u-boot should be loaded from nand/nor/sd-card.

0 Kudos
cono
Contributor I

Hi rajtantajtan,

it is no problem to load U-Boot into RAM via JTAG. Just load and execute i.MX28's U-Boot SPL ELF before normal U-Boot ELF. After SPL was execiuted DDR is initialized and normal U-Boot ELF could be loaded to DDR.

SPL ELF could be found in subfolder SPL of U-Boot source tree.

Regards,

Christoph

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Is this perhaps a baudrate issue ? You are using your terminal emulator with a baudrate, then u-boot starts and set it to another value and your terminal emulator stays with the older setting. Try changing the baudrate of your terminal emulator or find out what u-boot setting is. Just an idea ..

0 Kudos