cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6Q Board Bringup - u-boot not working

HugoOsornio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We are working with a custom made i.MX6Q board. It is based on the SABRE AI board, SPF-27142.

The only changes we made were to reroute the EIM interface to the EDGE connectors, removed the parallel NOR flash.

When using a known working bootloader from the SD CARD, the device simply does not boot.

In order to discard HW issues, we ran the OBDS tests and the board is able to run them from the SD card.

All the interfaces worked as expected. DDR passed, UART, Video Interfaces.

One difference that we saw was

---- Running < PMIC PF0100 ID TEST > test

Expected id 0b0001xxxx (PF0100), read 0x2

This obviously means that we have another kind of PMIC.

Will this be an issue to run the u-boot?

Also, what other procedure (fuse wise or Hard coded configurations) needs to be done before an i.MX board run the u-boot during a board bringup?

Does u-boot run some kind of pre-checks and, if the environment is not what it expects it simply does not execute?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

JackLee1z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Is a known working bootloader referring to an uboot which can run on SABRE AI board? If so, is it necessary to create a customized uboot for the target board?

What is the output in the console? If there is nothing in the console, can you confirm if the UART setup matches to hardware configuration?

Does the customer submit the hardware layout for review?

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

How did you run OBDS? Did you flash it on a SD card or loaded via JTAG?

0 Kudos

HugoOsornio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

From the SD card.

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I am not familiar with OBDS, but isn't it launched from U-boot?

Which U-boot version do you use and how do you flash into the SD card?

0 Kudos

HugoOsornio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I flash it exactly as the User Guide instructs, as a matter of fact, when using the SD in the Sabre AI it works perfectly fine.

Running OBDS on both the most noticeable difference is the PMIC version that we used.

The one on the SABRE AI has a small F0 label on the PMIC chip corner. Ours does not have that label.

Asido from that I do not see anymore differences.

That is why I am guessing that somehow the u-boot detects a fuse configuration or PMIC signature or something, that avoids it to run on our boards.

Any idea, will be welcome

0 Kudos

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Victor,  if your issue has been resolved, please click Correct Answer/Helpful Answer.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos

HugoOsornio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Fabio

I downloaded it from the web page.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX6Q&nodeId=018rH3ZrDRB24A&fpsp=1&t...

This same SD card works ok with a SABRE AI, it boots and loads the linux kernel ok.

However, on this board it does not do anything.

Running the OBDS code, I confirmed that the SD interface, UART and other peripherals are ok. (Even the boot interface as it is using the SD to boot)

But somehow, the u-boot image refuses to even run.

0 Kudos