AnsweredAssumed Answered

GPU Hardware accelerated Browsing over iMX6 Sabrelite

Question asked by Salil Mehta on Jun 27, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 6, 2013 by Guillermo Michel Jimenez

Hello,

I have purchased a Freescale iMX6 Sabrelite product. Need some or any release which runs over SabreLite and has GPU acceleration enabled. We have some application which uses webkit/gtk+ based browser (Midori) and whole idea of this activity is to accelerate that application performance; which otherwise is really sluggish. Hope somebody has done this thing earlier and observed gain in browsing experience by using GPU based acceleration.

For the past 1 week I am trying to bring up few releases and one amongst them is from boundary devices which contains GPU hardware acceleration enabled on it but did not see much gains with respect to browsing performance/experience on it.

Also, I am pretty sure that I am not alone and I could easily see very cheap tablets like given in the link (Amazon.com : MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 TV BOX Rockchip RK3066 Cortex-A9 Mini PC Smart TV Stick : External Tv Tuners : …) running our application very well, which on SabreLite is very very sluggish. I am quite sure tablet is using some GPU acceleration to improve the browsing experience and hence our application runs very smooth on it abd it looks it runs android image. The cost of Sabrelite is not cheap but we are not able to extract that mileage out of this so called high performance board. My gut feeling is answer lies in choosing the correct release which has kernel components as well as user space libraries meant to support GPU acceleration. With Boundary devices release I could see below set of kernel modules loaded (using lsmod ). Also,  I could see below set of libraries present on the system:

Kernel Modules

--------------------

vivante.ko

drm.ko

Libraries

------------

/lib/modules/3.0.35-g0aec58d/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/vivante/vivante.ko

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vivante_drv.la

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vivante_drv.so

/usr/lib/dri/vivante_dri.so

Could any of the Android releases help in this case? Does Android stack is better supported in terms of exploiting the GPU hardware?

Please help in clearing the doubts related to accelerated browsing experience over iMX6 Sabrelite. We have chosen Sabrelite because of it superior peripheral support including PCIe and SATA and what we require now is smooth user browsing which unfortunately is not happening in any of the releases i have tried so far. Any thoughts are welcomed.

regards

Salil

Outcomes