ethernet tap: flashing without codewarrior is possible?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet tap: flashing without codewarrior is possible?

Jump to solution
ivanmercier
Contributor I

Hi,

does anybody know how to flash a rom without codewarrior with ethernet tap?

The tap shell available with serial,telnet and ssh provide some interesting commands but I didn't try them...

flash_erase

flashcp

flash_info

Any docs would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I don't know exactly your use case, but definitely the u-boot is a nice option (mostly all u-boot versions have flash programmer support). Help command is very useful and verbosely enough.

Regards,

Marius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I don't know exactly your use case, but definitely the u-boot is a nice option (mostly all u-boot versions have flash programmer support). Help command is very useful and verbosely enough.

Regards,

Marius

0 Kudos
abhilashpv
Contributor I

Hi,

Can I flash boot loader / uboot using the USB or Ethernet TAP but without the help of codewarrior software? 

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

This is not possible. The CW probes (i.e.: cwtap and the legacy ones - usb/etap) are working only in conjunction with CodeWarrior.

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
abhilashpv
Contributor I

The problem we have is, we need to flash different devices at different places and we use it with codewarrior having evaluation license. It is getting difficult for us to install the entire codewarrior studio in every places. Can we have a tool just for flashing Bootloader / uboot without a license requirement? or could you please give me a solution for our problem?

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I need more details, please.

Basically, you have some boards remotely in different locations and only one probe? Can you please let me know the board name?

There are 2 possible solutions:

1. CW is working also for remote boards, but of course, you need to connect your board to a cwtap/etap (i.e.: need to have the probe connected to ethernet), so you need to have couple of probes (one probe for every target).

2. If you have an up and running u-boot on every board you can very simple download binaries on the board via a tftp server and after that just using the u-boot flash command you can write them to desired flash (of course, if the u-boot has the necessary support for that flash).

0 Kudos
abhilashpv
Contributor I

Thanks for your suggestions.

We use the board series P2040RDB. We have USB TAP probes. But my problem is with the Codewarrior software as I require only to flash uboot/bootloader into the board. Do I need to install the entire software every locations and maintain its license or can I have a tool which does not require license and it is only responsible for flashing bootloader/uboot?

Could you please elaborate on the CW working option for remote boards?

We have the fresh boards where no uboot is present, hence we require the flashing tool for initial uboot loading.

Can we follow any other methods other than using CW probes for loading uboot?

Your suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

0 Kudos