Using BDM in Stop  mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BDM in Stop  mode

nasimimtiaz
Contributor II

I am using your 9s08sh16 controller for my project. I am also using the stop3 mode of operation   I have  the  P&E BDM USB Multilink interface to attach with the controller.In order to use the BDM in the stop  mode I need to set the ENBDM bit but this bit is only accessible  by the BDM device.
My problem is that I can not locate a command in the Hiiwave software to enable the ENBDM bit of BDCSCR  register  .

Nasim

Labels (1)
16 Replies

weapon
Senior Contributor I

Hi Nasimimtiaz, you needn't to do that, debugger will set it automatically.

Typically, this bit is written to 1 by the debug host shortly

after the beginning of a debug session or whenever the debug host resets the target and remains 1 until a normal

reset clears it.

0 Kudos

nasimimtiaz
Contributor II

Dear Weiping

If the ENBDM bit is set then why am I not able to use the BDM debugger in stop mode? As soon as the processor goes in stop the link is  lost and I have to do a power cycle to reestablish the link

Nasim

0 Kudos

weapon
Senior Contributor I

Hi Nasim,

Did you set STOPE bit in SOPT1? if not, executing STOP will cause a reset, then the debugger connection may lost.

0 Kudos

nasimimtiaz
Contributor II

Yes I have set the STOPE  bit and it is going in sleep mode and come out after RTC interrupt. I have managed to debug the unit with out the Debugger .But for future I need to find a way so that I waste less time in development.

0 Kudos

nasimimtiaz
Contributor II

One Possibility is that my P&E USB Multilink is about four years old. May be it is not setting the ENBDM bit.

0 Kudos

weapon
Senior Contributor I

could you share your project to me? then I can try it in my demo board.

0 Kudos

nasimimtiaz
Contributor II

The project is a GSM/GPRS  Tracking device It wont run without the hardware.

0 Kudos

weapon
Senior Contributor I

Hi Nasimimtiaz, how about your issue? did you try to use a new multilink?

0 Kudos

Marcel
Contributor II

Hi,

I am having the same problem. We are using a MCF51QE128 microcontroller and P&E Micro USB Multilink Interface.

Once my program enters stop mode and I activate another window (other than the debugger), the debugger loses the connection with the target. When I do not change focus of the window, I can halt the program and the connection works just fine and I can step into the next instruction. We are also using a multilink that is already a few years old.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

weapon
Senior Contributor I

Hi Marcel, As P&E's request, could you provide below information for th issue?

1 CodeWarrior version.

2. The version of firmware installed in their USB Multilink

3. your project with the code that causes the issues.

Thanks inadvance.

0 Kudos

Marcel
Contributor II

Just an update to let you know i am trying to strip the project, because we don't want to hand over the entire project with source code and everything. But with the stripped version so far, it seems the problem does not occur :-|

CodeWarrior version we use is CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers, Classic Edition v6.3.1.

I don't know how to identify the firmware version. The dialog with the Connection Manager shows a blank field for firmware version. The port shows "USB-ML-12 Rev C (PE5516546)". Oh wait! The command window in the debugger shows "USB-ML-12 detected - Flash Version 5.81" .

0 Kudos

weapon
Senior Contributor I

:smileyplain:If so, it will be hard for us to find the reason.  Is it possible that the issue is caused by your software?

0 Kudos

Marcel
Contributor II

I don't think the problem is caused (mainly) by our software. The problem should be elsewhere, because there is nothing we can do about it. The debugger loses the connection!

I will try to see if I can work on this item again today, to make it reproduce again. But I'll first have to do some other things.

0 Kudos

weapon
Senior Contributor I

ok, no problem.

0 Kudos

Marcel
Contributor II

I was thinking, maybe the problem could be caused by the USB hub, which I have connected between the PC and the Multilink. Although the hub is a certified USB hub from D-Link and theoretically should not cause problems. I just ran some tests to find out if not using the hub would solve the problem, but unfortunately (or fortunately?) I cannot reproduce the problem anymore, even with our full project. That said, I think the problem should not be in our software, because the debugger lost its connection the last time (see previous post).

I won't have the opportunity to investigate the problem in the future if it comes back, but maybe this post might help others with the same problem.

0 Kudos

weapon
Senior Contributor I

Hi Marcel, I didn't try to click other windows before. let me raise such issue to P&E support team. Any response I get, I will update result here.