Which Codewarrior for 64 bit OS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Codewarrior for 64 bit OS

stevec
Contributor III

I need to upgrade my laptop and it will inevitably come with Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. Is there a  version of Codewarrior that will be compatible and also will enable me to use my existing Multilink cable. I have been playing with a VM installed on Windows 7 and have a version of Codewarrior running under an XP environment but have not got the Multilink going yet. Not ideal.

Steve

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

stevejanisch
Contributor IV

My 2 cents (and plug)... invest in VMWare Workstation. It is priced at a fair price of $250 (and sometimes you can get 10-20% off that) and even has a 1 month trial.  I don't own stock in the company or work for them, but have found it truly life saving over the last couple of years.

As we all know, setting up programming environments can be challenging.   I started using VMWare a few years ago when I had to simultaneously work on Siemens and Rockwell automation software (aka BBW... for buggy bloatware).  The two companies didn't play nice together.  So I built two VMWare images... one for the Siemens stuff and another for the Rockwell stuff.  Worked beautiful.  And then once out on a job my laptop failed.  I had fortunately saved the images on a external hard drive backup and went out and purchased a new laptop.  Installed VMWare workstation and copied the images over and was back to working within two hours.  The Siemens install itself would have taken me a day to install all the software and another couple of days to deal with all the license issues, but I was back to working two hours after my laptop died, and my desktop workspace was identical to how I had left it the previous night.

Note that I haven't done what you are doing, but I do sort of plan on trying.  I want to evaluate some of the 3rd party RTOSes and at least one of them uses the classic CodeWarrior.  If I get a chance to put it together I will add to this post on how it worked out.

0 Kudos

stevec
Contributor III

Steve,

I am trying VirtualBox at the moment and have installed Version 6.3 on there. It is working ok but I am having trouble getting the guest OS (XP) to see the Multilink cable. I'm still working on that one. I had a choice between using Virtual Box or VMWare Player which is a free version of Workstaion (but cut down). I will try that if Virtual Box does not want to play ball!

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Steve,

On my Win 7 64 bit Home version I've installed several versions of Classic CodeWarrior (MCU v6.3, HC12 v5.1, etc ...) on Virtual PC.

Some hardware are not running to 64 bit OS due to driver issue.

This is the case of DEMO9S12XEP100 board manufactured by Softec.

This board is running on 32 bit os only as no driver supporting 64 bit was designed.

This board is running fine without problem on my virtual PC installation.

To be running you must attach the USB connection to your Virtual PC via the USB menu.

Regarding multilink, I've an old mother board M68EVB912DP256 with an USB Multilink rev B.

Under virtual PC, after to attach the Multilink via the USB menu, I can debug an application without problem.

2-3 minutes were required on my side for the virtual PC recognized and install the driver.

A message saying a new hardware will be installed will appear, the system will ask you to check on web.

Select No.

Hope this will help you.

Pascal

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Steve,

I'm using CodeWarrior for MCU10.3 and 10.4 with the P&E Multilink on Windows7 64bit and Windows8 32bit.

No VM at all, just plain OS.

I hope this helps.

Erich

0 Kudos

stevec
Contributor III

Thanks Erich,

This is the Eclipse version isn't it? Are there any problems moving from V6.3, my current version? Is the move transparent?

Steve

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Steve,

yes, this is the Eclipse version. About the move: that very much depends. The build tools are about the same, but newer. But the IDE is completely different, and so are the projects. So you cannot simply import your existing projects to Eclipse.

I have moved all my projects to Eclipse, and this worked out very well for me. But it all depends what features you are using in the classic CodeWarrior, as there is not always a 1-to-1 match. If you are new to Eclipse, then for sure it requires some learning. So I would not do such a switch in the middle of a project. But Eclipse is the future for sure (my 10 cents).

If you have a 32bit Windows you can install on your machine, that would be a good option in my view: that way you can keep both the classic installed on it in parallel with the Eclipse version, and you can migrate from the classic to Eclipse.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos