HC908JK3, cycling power vs pull reset low

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HC908JK3, cycling power vs pull reset low

JimDandy
Contributor III

Hi all. Been messing with a half-home-made programmer so that I can finally program SMD MCUs in situ. When I power up the target board from it's normal external 12v regulated down to 5v, the programming software can the load whatever into the MCU depending on whether I am going erase, verify, program, read etc but then throws a comms error and stops before it can actually proceed with erase, verify program, read etc.

If I let the programmer supply and control the on/off of the 5v rail everything works fine. I'm happy with that except for the fact that I will need one extra wire in the programming interface for the +5v. No big deal really.

The question is though, seeing the programmer can, and does, pull the MCU reset low whenever necessary, why wouldn't this be sufficient to allow the use of the target board's continuous 5v supply?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

eckhard
Contributor V

Hello,

to enter Monitor Mode you need a Power on Reset (POR) it is different from the Pin reset. Mainly by setting a different Flag in the Reset Status Register. This flag is checked before entering Monitor Mode. There is a Flow chart about entering Monitor Mode in the Datasheet on Page 74. Maybe this helps

Eckhard

JimDandy
Contributor III

Hi Eckhard. Thanks for that.

I marked your answer as "helpful" rather than "correct" because seeing I had to ask the question I didn't feel qualified to deem it correct.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos