i.MX53 Quick Start Board power consumption

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX53 Quick Start Board power consumption

kguilbert
Contributor II

Anyone know what kind of power consumption this board uses, if I'm just using SATA and Ethernet?

Also how would it compare to, say, an i.MX6 Solo (like the Sabre Lite using a single core)? It's not very clear to me what would drive the choice between an MX53 and MX6. Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

PeterNewton
Contributor II

I have no idea about i.mx6, but I have an i.mx53 quick start board that I run with SATA, ethernet, VGA, and USB keyboard and mouse.  I am running a stock Freescale kernel with Debian 6.

I use a power supply scrounged from another project.  It supplied 5V and 12V and powers both the i.mx53 board and the SATA disk drive.

I have a device called a "kill-a-watt" (google it) that measures power at the AC mains (120V AC 60 Hz for me).  It shows 9 to 10 Watts with the system up and the disk spinning but all otherwise idle.  If I run something like coremark or do a compile, the power rises to 11 or 12 Watts.

CPU frequency is fixed at 1 GHz.  I do not think it makes a huge difference.

Neither the power supply nor the disk drive I use are anything special.  I do not know how power efficient they are.  I do not have a maker or model for the power supply.  As I said, I scrounged it from something else.

kguilbert
Contributor II

Thanks Peter. That seems quite high -- maybe the SATA drive uses a good chunk of it. I thought about using a Kill-a-Watt too but I wondered about its accuracy, power supply loss, etc.

0 Kudos

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Kyle, please click Correct Answer/Helpful Answer if your question has been answered.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos

LinWang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please refer to AN4270 for i.Mx53 power consumption.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4270.pdf?fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Application Notes&WT_VENDOR=FREESCALE&WT_FILE_FORMAT=pdf&WT_ASSET=Documentation

And AN4580 for i.Mx6SL power consumption.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4580.pdf?fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Application Notes&WT_VENDOR=FREESCALE&WT_FILE_FORMAT=pdf&WT_ASSET=Documentation

Same doc for i.mx6solo isn't release now.

You can find it later(may be within 3 weeks) in website.

About  Sata or others part power consumption, datasheet include some related info.

Thanks!

seba
Contributor I

Hi Lin,

I'm looking for a power calculator tool dedicated for the i.MX 6Solo

(similar to the "IMX28_POWER_CALCULATOR" spreadsheet).

Is such tool available somewhere?

Thank you,

Sebastian.

PS. Is the doc  "i.MX 6Solo Power Consumption Measurement" released now?

0 Kudos

LinWang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Draus,

Sorry, we don't have a calculator tool for i.Mx6solo now.

Hi YixingKong,Can you help to check the schedule of AN4715 with Doc team?

Thanks!

0 Kudos