Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flash programming on mpc5510

Jump to solution
petitbeurre
Contributor I

Hi all,

I'am currently working on a project on an mpc5516 microcontroller. I would like to transfer data from ram to internal flash, but I do not succeed in finding relevant information about writting data on flash memory in the reference manual (mpc5510RM). For example, on page 22-20, chapter Flash Array and Control, section Flash Programming, we are told that to program the flash, we need to "Write the first address to be programmed in the flash module with the program data", but I can not find in the rest of the document precisely where the address and data have to be written.

If anyone has tips or code examples about this issue, that would be great!

I also have read that Freescale provides a set of flash drivers called the Standard Software H7F Driver. Anyone knows where I may find it?

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

flash drivers can be found here:

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/software/device_drivers/MPC5500_H7F_SSD_v323.zip

The package contains drivers, examples, user manual...

"Write the first address to be programmed in the flash module with the program data"

- this sentence means that you have to write data directly to flash address that is going to be programmed. For example:

*(unsigned int *)0x1000 = 0xAABBCCDD;

If you follow all other steps described on mentioned page 22-20 then this will program value 0xAABBCCDD to address 0x1000 in flash.

And important note from reference manual:

"Whenever a program operation occurs, ECC bits are programmed. ECC is handled on a 64-bit boundary.

Thus, if only one word in any given 64-bit ECC segment is programmed, the adjoining word (in that

segment) should not be programmed because ECC calculation has already completed for that 64-bit

segment. Attempts to program the adjoining word will probably result in an operation failure. It is

recommended that all programming operations be from 64 bits to 128 bits, and be 64-bit aligned. The

programming operation should completely fill selected ECC segments within the page."

Lukas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
STDev
Contributor I

I know that this topic is old but I'm starting to learn about MPC5500 family to create a simple read and write example for a Microcontroller.but the link provided in this topic is dead or removed by ST for some reason.

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/software/device_drivers/MPC5500_H7F_SSD_v323.zip

please provide me with an updated link or if there is an updated solution.

to be clear I'm not interrested in Buying a professional programmer.since i'm trying to learn how to implement my own.

Thanks

0 Kudos
enes
Contributor II

Is it possible to use this drivers for MCP5517 microcontrollers??

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

flash drivers can be found here:

The package contains drivers, examples, user manual...

"Write the first address to be programmed in the flash module with the program data"

- this sentence means that you have to write data directly to flash address that is going to be programmed. For example:

*(unsigned int *)0x1000 = 0xAABBCCDD;

If you follow all other steps described on mentioned page 22-20 then this will program value 0xAABBCCDD to address 0x1000 in flash.

And important note from reference manual:

"Whenever a program operation occurs, ECC bits are programmed. ECC is handled on a 64-bit boundary.

Thus, if only one word in any given 64-bit ECC segment is programmed, the adjoining word (in that

segment) should not be programmed because ECC calculation has already completed for that 64-bit

segment. Attempts to program the adjoining word will probably result in an operation failure. It is

recommended that all programming operations be from 64 bits to 128 bits, and be 64-bit aligned. The

programming operation should completely fill selected ECC segments within the page."

Lukas

0 Kudos
petitbeurre
Contributor I

Thank you very much for your quick answer, it is very helpful!

0 Kudos