Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW 10.3 Slow to start download

Jump to solution
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

One of the things that I am noticing about CW is that the longer my PC is active, the slower it gets starting with initiating the build/download for debugging as well as bringing up breakpoint and single stepping information. 

When I check Windows Task Manager (the PC is running Windows 7 64), I don't see any reason for the delay in terms of tasks hogs or other issues. 

Anybody else see this behaviour or have any ideas what the problem could be (and potential fixes)?

Thanx,

myke

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Are you using gcc?

Then this one for sure will help:

Reducing the build time with gcc for ARM and CodeWarrior | MCU on Eclipse

I don't think another Eclipse is a problem. I'm using Windows7 64bit and running 2-3 Eclipse instances many times.

What else helps if you could close projects in the workspace which you do not need right now. Having many projects open at the same time slows down Eclipse, but not sure if this is the case here.

Another thing is Cygwin? Do you have Cygwin (c:\cygwin) installed on your machine? I had issues in the past where the GNU make somehow was searching and using the Cygwin make. If you have cygwin installed, you might try renaming that folder temporarily to see if it has an impact.

But still, these kind of things would not add over time. I understand that you say that after you close Eclipse and start it again, then things are ok again, but then degrade over time?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Myke,

maybe this one helps

Speeding up the Debug Launch in CodeWarrior | MCU on Eclipse

?

But this is independent of how long CW is up and running. I have it up and running on my notebook for several days (with supspend-resume in between), and have not noticed what you report.

Maybe you could indicate in which part (check the progress view, as shown in the above post) the delay happens?

Or you could enable 'logging':

Enable Logging in the Connection Settings

This maybe gives an indication.

I hope this helps.

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Thanx for the pointer - Separating build from debug start definitely helps. 

It looks like the problem is with build taking a long time to start. 

I should also point out that I have another instance of Eclipse active for my Java based PC UI - I need both running at this time. 

Any ideas?

myke

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Are you using gcc?

Then this one for sure will help:

Reducing the build time with gcc for ARM and CodeWarrior | MCU on Eclipse

I don't think another Eclipse is a problem. I'm using Windows7 64bit and running 2-3 Eclipse instances many times.

What else helps if you could close projects in the workspace which you do not need right now. Having many projects open at the same time slows down Eclipse, but not sure if this is the case here.

Another thing is Cygwin? Do you have Cygwin (c:\cygwin) installed on your machine? I had issues in the past where the GNU make somehow was searching and using the Cygwin make. If you have cygwin installed, you might try renaming that folder temporarily to see if it has an impact.

But still, these kind of things would not add over time. I understand that you say that after you close Eclipse and start it again, then things are ok again, but then degrade over time?

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi Erich,

That got it - I have very one large source file (for speed reasons, called functions are minimized) that seems to be slowing things down.  The "Reducing the build time" had the key.

Thanx muchly,

myke

0 Kudos