Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binary file size is greater even for a simple program in CW v9.2

Jump to solution
Champaka
Contributor III

Hi,

I have created a simple hello world program in code warrior V9.2.

Binary file size of this program is 4036 KB. where as in the older version , code warrior V8.5, binary file size of the same program takes only     

33 KB.

Could anyone tell me the reason for this. I would also like to know how to reduce the binary file size in code warrior V9.2.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Could you possibly compare if the .lcf files are the same in both cases (v9.2 vs. v8.5).

I suspect there might be a gap between two sections. The binary file cannot "skip" the gaps then its size may be much bigger in comparison to e.g.  s19 or elf file.

Another option is to enable Linker option "generate multiple binary files". in this case if there is a address gap between two sections a separate binary file for each section is created.

Can you post your .lcf + .map files for both cases (v9.2 vs. v8.5) for further analysis if the suggestion above does not help.

Thanks

Stan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Could you possibly compare if the .lcf files are the same in both cases (v9.2 vs. v8.5).

I suspect there might be a gap between two sections. The binary file cannot "skip" the gaps then its size may be much bigger in comparison to e.g.  s19 or elf file.

Another option is to enable Linker option "generate multiple binary files". in this case if there is a address gap between two sections a separate binary file for each section is created.

Can you post your .lcf + .map files for both cases (v9.2 vs. v8.5) for further analysis if the suggestion above does not help.

Thanks

Stan

Champaka
Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Stan. Same thing was done and it was solved.

0 Kudos