KSZ8041 PHY with K60

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KSZ8041 PHY with K60

jonny
Contributor I

I am using the Micrel KSZ8041NL PHY with a K60 tower based custom board.

The PHY schematic matches that of the development boards.

We are finding that with some boards we cant get onto the network when we connect it (via switch or directly to main router). On these boards the link light on the ethernet socket is on as expected but the activity light flashes constantly at around 6Hz (and not with the network activity as I would expect).

Looking at packet capture when connecting by cable via my laptop (shared internet connection) I see dhcp discover packets coming from the board but dhcp offers from the router seem to be ignored.

Is anyone else seeing this same or similar issue or have any ideas as to what might be the cause?

EDIT:

Didnt get to the bottom, nor could micrel after sending our boards to micrel's labs.

For anyones that interested, we got round it by modifying mqx's phy drivers to renegotiate the link speed to 10mbps which was required for the project and found that at 10mbps the problem disappeared.

If anyone else sees this problem let me know as I would like to get the bottom of it either way!

Message was edited by: Jonathan Whyatt

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Contributor I

I also encountered the same problem, but our application must be 100M. Is there a solution for this 100M application?

0 Kudos

Contributor I

I also encountered the same problem, but our application must be 100M. Is there a solution for this 100M application?

0 Kudos

raffaelerecalca
Contributor I

Hi,

have the same issue doing ifdown;ifup and the workaround is implemented reading if bit 6 of 0x1b register is equal to 1.

If so we hardware reset the ksz8041nl.

In 1110 cycles it appears three times and the workaround fix the problem.

If you have a patch for your renegotiation we try it!

Bye,

Raffaele

0 Kudos

jonny
Contributor I

Hi Raffaele,

at least im not the only person to have this problem! That's interesting about the 'Receive Error'.

If you drop me an email, I can send you the patches.

Id also be interested in your project in case there's any similarities in our boards which may  give some clues.

Thanks

J

0 Kudos