CW 10.2 warning Files or folders deleted cannot be recovered!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW 10.2 warning Files or folders deleted cannot be recovered!

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day All,

Just a warning and a rant for a new CW "feature" I just discovered...  If you delete a file or subfolder whether it be on purpose or by mistake, the files are permanently deleted from the Workspace as well as on your local hard drive!   The files are not sent to the recycle bin, they are permanently deleted!  I cannot believe this... You cannot even use CW's "undo" function! This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever experienced with this tool set.  I am completely bewildered at this.  In my case I move my mouse and the left side mouse button clicked and whammo a whole subfolder and all of its files have been permanently deleted!  I have to say that my experience using CW 10.x is one of the worst experiences ever... I am actually sick and disgusted that I paid another $1000 for support...

I hope you will forgive my rant... but I just wanted to warn others about this issue... and also if you have a choice use any other software tool than CW 10.x

Cheers,

Sam

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day Once again...

As a follow up... There is a chance that you might be able to recover a file if you select the project (left click) you are working on the select the "Restore from local History" command.  This will open a dialog box of any files that you might be able to recover.  In my case only two files were listed... out of the 15 that I had...  Thankfully I made some backups and so I could piece meal restore my workspace... what a major annoyance...  The moral is back up as often as possible.  In my case the backups save me 4 hours of work...

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sam,

The amount of files/information in the Local History depends on your settings. You need to keep in mind that the restore is on the project, so if you have deleted files in different projects, you would need to perform the restore on each project.

See Restore Deleted Files in Eclipse with Local History | MCU on Eclipse

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day Erich,

Thank you for your response and kudos to you on your site!  There is a lot of valuable information there!

As for this CW issue... Indeed, I understand this, but I am amazed that an application would feel the need to permanently delete files itself as opposed to deleting via the O/S.  I say this as if the latter is done, then one could recover the files from the Recycle or Trash bin... Given the seriousness of doing a whole sub-folder deletion, I (if I was the CW application programmer) would have added a dialog box with a "Are you sure?" question.  In my case a simple bumping of the mouse against a keyboard deleted all of the files within a project sub folder that were all unrecoverable except for two files.  Thankfully I backup often and so it took a while to piece each file, etc in order to get back to where I was.

Adding to all this I had another major issue with CW where I made one small change to my application and I was unable to compile (I had 0 errors and then one change resulted in 906 errors... removed the change and I was still unable to compile), debug, etc.  In this case a previous day's backup would not restore the system.  I had to go back to another backup, re-import the project, and then restore the newer files piece-meal.  Overall my experience with CW 10.x has been poor.  CW Classic, on the other hand,  was/is significantly better and so I guess that was my standard...

Anyway, thank you for your post and your great site!

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos