Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi Installations of MQX

Jump to solution
swtat
Contributor II

Hello

I want to use MQX in new projects and have a question concerning the installation. How can I install MQX more than once on my computer?

I would like to have an installation of MQX for every project in the corresponding SVN repository. Typically a specific version is freezed in a project after design freeze. But in new projects we would like to start with the latest version.

MQX comes with an installer and it does not seem possible to install it in a 2nd place.

I'm thinking of installing it in a MQX directory and copy the relevant content for the project from there. Is there an other solution?

Thanks

andy

1 Solution
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi swtat,

Yes you can have as many as you want.  The installer doesn't make it simple though.

If I'm installing older to newer MQX's I can easiy do the install.

If you are trying to install an older MQX on a system with a newer MQX, sometimes I have to remove the System Environmental Variable (MQX_PATH or MQX_ROOT).

Other times I just want two copies of the same version.  One as original and one for messing around with.  I then just a copy-n-paste in the new installation.

If I'm applying a patch to the MQX, then I copy-n-paste the MQX version, apply the patch, and rename the patched MQX.  I've had to do this with our WiFi vendor patches as example.

Note a simple copy-n-paste of the MQX folder does chew up a bit of hard disk space!

Lastly something to watch out for.  When installing MQX, it looks to find what development tools you have installed on your system (CodeWarrior, IAR, Keil, etc) and applies TAD  (Task Aware Debugging) so that could mess up your development tool TAD working with one version or another but manual patches described in MQX4.0/tools/[dev_tool]_extensions/readme.txt file.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi swtat,

Yes you can have as many as you want.  The installer doesn't make it simple though.

If I'm installing older to newer MQX's I can easiy do the install.

If you are trying to install an older MQX on a system with a newer MQX, sometimes I have to remove the System Environmental Variable (MQX_PATH or MQX_ROOT).

Other times I just want two copies of the same version.  One as original and one for messing around with.  I then just a copy-n-paste in the new installation.

If I'm applying a patch to the MQX, then I copy-n-paste the MQX version, apply the patch, and rename the patched MQX.  I've had to do this with our WiFi vendor patches as example.

Note a simple copy-n-paste of the MQX folder does chew up a bit of hard disk space!

Lastly something to watch out for.  When installing MQX, it looks to find what development tools you have installed on your system (CodeWarrior, IAR, Keil, etc) and applies TAD  (Task Aware Debugging) so that could mess up your development tool TAD working with one version or another but manual patches described in MQX4.0/tools/[dev_tool]_extensions/readme.txt file.

Regards,

David