Is ZSTAR3 USB Stick/Sensor Board working on a GNU/Linux Machine?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ZSTAR3 USB Stick/Sensor Board working on a GNU/Linux Machine?

m_a_perez-xochi
Contributor I

Dear Sir or Madam,

It is required to write an C++ code in order to use the ZSTAR3 USB Stick with the ZSTAR3 Sensor board on a machine with an GNU/Linux OS (Ubuntu 12.04(32bits): in the case of this machine). From what I read, it is possible to connect them to any Linux machine; however there are no documentation except their suggestion on checking acm.o module [ZStar Project help needed].

I would appreciate it if you would carry out with a proposal into my concern and provide some suggestion in accordance with my doubts.

P.D. Let me tell you that I am going to create a tutorial in order to have a proper documentation regarding this topic.

I await hearing from you,

M.A.

Tags (4)
2 Replies

Martin35804
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately there is no additional documentation related to Linux.

Previous version of ZSTAR the initial one (not the ZSTAR2) was able to compile on Linux but ZSTAR3 unfortunately not.

There is nor any API that interfaces the Linux or Android OS with the ZSTAR3 (or any ZigBee solution device). Therefore, you will have to develop it by your own. Please refer to the ZSTAR3 reference manual – chapter 5 about the software design to get familiar with the ZSTAR3 RF protocol and packet format. This will definitely help you to build your API. You can also use another USB dongle if you do not want to use the ZSTAR3. There is a USB dongle reference design for the MC1321x available on Freescale website. Also, there is a USB dongle board using the ARM-based MC1322x device. However, if you just want a simple network such as the one used in ZSTAR (SMAC), you should definitely use that hardware or the MC1321x (HCS08 core). Regarding to the USB stick drivers for Linux, the ZSTAR is standard USB CDC class and it should work in Linux with the standard driver preinstalled. Please refer to the i.MX51 EVK Linux Reference manual – chapter 30 about the ARC USB driver for more information about the USB driver. At the end of the day, you will be able to plug the USB stick and be ready to use. Then you can implement your API with the information stated in the ZSTAR3 reference manual. You can also use another USB dongle (1321x for example) and load a wireless UART application to it so anything you send it via serial interface, will be transmitted over the air.

0 Kudos

m_a_perez-xochi
Contributor I

Dear All,

Previous advice is quite helpful, and to my surprise some of those valuable premises were taken into account during the experiments on July 2013. Consequently, if anyone has bumped into similar requirements, source code* is available which works with one accelerometer. Nonetheless, there is a second version in which four acceleremoters have been used. The latter source code is available upon request.

*A compressed file is attached at the very end of the following page:

A Human-Robot Interaction Dance Demo @ TMR2013 - Pérez-Xochicale M. A.

Yours sincerely,

M. A.