Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuadSPI Flash on iMX28

Jump to solution
bfac
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello!

The iMX28 SPI module is flexible to work with 1, 2 or 4 data pins, being then compatible with Quad SPI flash memories, per the discussion below it is also clear there are drivers available on the current BSP.

Spansion Quad SPI driver with i.MX283

My question regards the possible limitations of working with that module, compared to newer QuadSPI controller IPs, like the one available on Vybrid for instance? Should we expect a lower performance on that controller, compared to newer IPs, for example the one available on Vybrid?

Thanks!

Bruno

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
MarekVasut
Senior Contributor I

It's just using 4-bit data transfer instead of 1-bit transfer on a regular SPI flash, right? So the data transfer rate is four times as high, but don't forget you're sending some SPI commands inbetween as well.

Given that the SPI flash commands for transfering data via all four data lines are orthogonal to the "regular" ones transfering data via single line, booting from this device should not be an issue either.

Just make sure you power-cycle the SPI flash when the CPU restarts, otherwise you might not be able to boot (if the SPI flash is in undefined state, the CPU bootrom will fail to boot from it)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarekVasut
Senior Contributor I

It's just using 4-bit data transfer instead of 1-bit transfer on a regular SPI flash, right? So the data transfer rate is four times as high, but don't forget you're sending some SPI commands inbetween as well.

Given that the SPI flash commands for transfering data via all four data lines are orthogonal to the "regular" ones transfering data via single line, booting from this device should not be an issue either.

Just make sure you power-cycle the SPI flash when the CPU restarts, otherwise you might not be able to boot (if the SPI flash is in undefined state, the CPU bootrom will fail to boot from it)

0 Kudos