cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory management in the MPC5200B

foamfollower
Contributor I

Hello,

I am new at programming the MPC5200b and I was hoping someone could answer some questions about configuring the SDRAM controller and the LocalPlus Bus.

At time of power applied to the MPC5200b, the configuration pins are set to have the processor start in the Low Boot space.  The documentation states that the boot space has a total of 512Kbytes.  Does this mean that the following registers will be initialized as shown below?

MBAR+0x004C  = 0x0000_0000

MBAR+0x0050  = 0x0000_0007

or

MBAR+0x004C  = 0x0000_0000

MBAR+0x0050  = 0x0000_FFFF

During the course of configuring the MPC5200B during Boot, should I change the lower Boot Space Address to

MBAR+0x004C = 0x0000_FC00  does the program pointer automatically change to this start address + current location or do I need to make a jump to this location on the next instruction?  I am wondering how the program pointer handles the change in the start address for the boot chip select.

My last question deals with the initialization of the SDRAM chip select.  The documentation states that the register request the XLB starting address along with the size of memory.  Does the XLB starting address have the same definitions as that used by the localplus bus?  For example, if I program the SDRAM register with a start XLB address of 0x0000_0000 does this correlate to the localplus bus boot_CS start address of 0x0000_0000?  Do I need to change the boot_CS start address before I set the SDRAM XLB address to 0x0000_0000 or does the G2_LE core distinguiish the difference between the localplus bus and the SDRAM controller?

Thanks for your help

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

By default, the address space accessed starts at 0x0000 0000 or 0xFFF0 0000 depends on the reset configuration. The size of the boot address space after reset is 512Kbytes. These parameters define default values the MBAR 0x004C and MBAR 0x0050.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos