cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codewarrior with RS232 port

edjiang
Contributor II

Hi,

I have a question: does codewarrior works with RS232 communication? If yes, how can I configure the settings?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Labels (1)
8 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Depends what you mean with 'RS-232' port? If you ask for a terminal window, then: Yes, the CodeWarrior Eclipse (MCU10.x) has a built-in Console/Terminal implementation which talks to the RS-232 (beside of other ports). It is accessible with the menu Window > Show View > Terminal.

edjiang
Contributor II

I want to program the MCU through COM port, instead of USB port.

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Generally, no although at one time there was a "serial monitor" for some freescale parts that if you purchased an eval board with it already loaded, older versions of codewarrior could do this. However there were issues, because if you had a bug that crashed the mcu or otherwise interfered with the serial port, you could not really debug it.

0 Kudos

edjiang
Contributor II

Well, which pins are necessary for the communication with codewarrior? For example, I have MC9S08MP16 32-Pin package, is it enough to have pin#8 (TxD) and pin#9 (RxD) connected to the so-called USB adaptor/converter? of course, I power the chip by external power supply of 5V.

0 Kudos

Monica
Senior Contributor III

Ed, did this solve your problem?

Let us know :smileywink:

Regards!

0 Kudos

edjiang
Contributor II

In the "PEMICRO Connection Manager" window, I selected interface as "CyclonePRO - Serial Port", and Port as "COM1: Serial Port 1". The Hardware connection is the same as described in app note AN1857, page 13. Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

One thing I don't understand is that why in the app note Figure 6 it shows (+12 Vdc). I measured my PC and found both pin 4 and pin 7 is of voltage around -11V. Anyone has an idea about this configuration?

Thanks

Ed

0 Kudos

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

CyclonePro is BDM interface (trough we can program MCU). CyclonePro could be connected to PC trough USB, serial port or trough Ethernet (it could work also as standalone programmer).

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=M68CYCLONEPROE

I suppose that you don’t have CyclonePro. Correct?

Therefore option “CyclonePRO - Serial Port" cannot be used in your case.

S08 MCUs are typically programmed by BDM interface (like CyclonePro). If MCU already contains bootloader (loaded by BDM interface) you can use serial port for loading your own software.

Have your MCU any bootloader?

Do you have any BDM Interface?

For example CyclonePro or USB Multilink:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=USBMULTILINKBDM

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Yes, RXD and TXD should be ok, but again YOU NEED TO HAVE FIRMWARE IN THE MCU or cw will not communicate with the mcu. If the maker of the board did not put the serial monitor in flash, it will not work. (I am not sure if there ever was one for S08, I did use one for HCS12 many years ago).

0 Kudos