cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible NAND Flash for the I.MX25

Jump to solution
dalton
Contributor I

We built a custom i.mx25 board and have had mixed results picking a currently available NAND Flash that is compatible with the boot configuration options. We would like a 1 to 4 G-Byte part is the $5 - $10 range.

The 3-stack Dev Kit comes with a Samsung part, that isn't readily available any more.

We've been looking into Micron parts and have had success booting from the 128M-Byte MT29F1G08ABADAH4, but it’s not large enough.

The Micron 2G-Byte MT29F16G08CBACAWP would meet our requirements, but doesn't make the boot ROM happy. Although the Advance Tool Kit can read and write to it successfully. The boot configuration that we are using is as follows:

•             MFG/DEV ID: 2C 48

•             MEM_CTL:  01 = NAND Flash

•             MEM_TYPE: 10 = 5 address cycles

•             PAGE_SIZE: 10 = 4k page size

•             BUS_WIDTH: 00 = 8-bit bus width

•             MLC_SEL: 1 = MLC device

•             SPARE_SIZE: 1 = 218 spare bytes  (part has 224)

Note that the part has a spare size of 224 and 256 pages per block. I suspect that one of these is the issue. It could be that this part doesn't meet the requirements for the boot configuration allowed by the boot ROM.

Does anyone know what the issue might be or have a list of readily available parts that meet our requirements?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dalton,

The i.MX25 supports a maximum MLC block size of 512KB. In the case of your NAND the size is 1024KB, so seems like it is not compatible.

Best regards.

Jorge.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dalton,

The i.MX25 supports a maximum MLC block size of 512KB. In the case of your NAND the size is 1024KB, so seems like it is not compatible.

Best regards.

Jorge.

0 Kudos