Are there NEON co-processor benchmarks available for audio DSP processing?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there NEON co-processor benchmarks available for audio DSP processing?

Larry5335
Contributor IV

Using the OpenMAX or 3rd party software audio libraries, are there any benchmarks available for running these on the NEON co-processor

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support
    • Re: Are there NEON co-processor benchmarks available for audio DSP processing?
      Zening WangEmployee
      Larry,Sorry for my late reply.I'm not so sure what exactly you are asking for. So below answer is based on my understanding.Rephrase your question here:"Can FSL provide performance data of the FSL released audio codec on the MX6x (ARM A9 core based). And are they optimized by Neon instructions"If you are asking the above question, then yes, we have the data. I can't provide the full performance test report here but I can give performance data for some "typical" cases here, for your reference .Note:AAC, MP3, WMA10 decoders are optimized with Neon. Others used ARMv6 instruction, Neon co-processor are not used for them. And, please note that the data are for the 'core' codec, the buffer to buffer decoding. In general, when we talk about performance or benchmark, we mainly focus on the time cosuming components with limited usage. For components with rich API and usage, if you want a performance benchmark, you need to focus on a very certain and specific useage (data flow and function call sequence), or you need to measure every useage and calculate their arithmetic mean with proper factors you assigned on each usecase (may depends on their importancy for you or some other consideration)
    • Correct AnswerRe: Are there NEON co-processor benchmarks available for audio DSP processing?
      Zening WangEmployee
      And, if you were asking the benchmark for a 3rd party SW that are not released from FSL,then No, we don't have it.So, I doubt you might be actually asking "how to measure a specific SW's performance on FSL MX6 chips".Basically you need to write test code to drive the SW and calculate the executing time. This is how we used to measure our codec performance.If you don't want to write code, you could use linux command "time" to collect a rough executing time when you run a SW. Please google its usage.Or you use "top" command to sample and record the CPU % when you are running a SW, and calculate the average CPU %, then derive the performance with the CPU frequency.

0 Kudos