Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to view SD-CARD's file system partition on my WCE7 device

Jump to solution
DeepakKukreja
Contributor III

Hi,

I am using the iMX51 EVK and the Windows CE 7 BSP.

I have created and OS Image and my device is booting fine with the WEC 7 image.

I want to store user files and data in the file system partition of the SD-CARD.

I am facing problem in being able to use my SD-CARD from my device as a storage device.

I have followed the steps mentioned in the WEC700 User's Guide, to create a file system partition but somehow it is not working.

1.   Boot the device in BOOT-STRAP mode.

2.   Programmed the EBOOT.nb0 at address 0x0000 0400 into the SD CARD using ATK TOOL KIT.

3.   Reset the boot switched to Boot from SD-CARD

4.   Reset the device

5.   Download the NK.BIN from platform builder to the Device's SD Card

6.   Reset the device

7.   From the EBOOT menu's -> SD/MMC card utilities -> Create File System Partition on SD/MMC Card

8.   Connect the card to a Windows 7 machine's SD Card slot and format it with FAT 32 partition

9.   Connect the SD Card back to the imx51 EVK and power on the board.

10. Board boots fine with the WEC7 image

11  But the SD Card is not appearing in the "My Device"

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I think you should make sure the SDHC driver had been successfully built into your image, and do you see any thing in WinCE's control panel -> storage manager? If can  please try the demo image first.

If you still failed to make the SD card work, please reference to the BSP release note for the followed item in "Known Defects".

ENGR131976

Failed to format/mount some SD/MMC cards by Storage Manager or App calling File System API “FormatStore”.

Workaround:

MSFT has confirmed this issue and provided a workaround.

The SD card can be formatted by following procedure:

• Launch the storage properties dialog

• In " store info" select the sd memory device.

• Press the properties button which will pop up the "partition properties" dialog box

• Press the "Dismount" button

• Press the "format" button

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeepakKukreja
Contributor III

I was finally able to see the 2nd partition (File system) partition from my Windows Compact 7,

The issue is that the File System partition needs to be set as an ACTIVE partition.

So to aid anyone who comes across this issue, the steps are as below:

1. Download the EBOOT.nbo using the ATK Toolkit software to the SD CARD.
  2. From the EBOOT Menu -> MMC/SD-CARD utilities -> Create File System partition. You should know which SD-CARD you are using, i.e. which specification does your SD-CARD comply to.
  3. Download the nk.bin to your SD CARD.
  4. Plug the SD Card into a Windows machine.
  5. For the steps after this I used Mini tool's Partition Wizard, you can download one for yourself here SD partitions can be managed with the partition manager Partition Wizard.
  6. Format the File-system partition (2nd partition) on the SD CARD as a FAT32 partition, cluster size should be set to 512 Bytes.
  7. Set the file-system partition as ACTIVE partition, using the same tool
  8. Plug your card back into your Hardware or the iMX51 EVK.
  9. When the system boots you should be able to see your SD CARD's file system partition in My Deivce -> Storage Card

-Deepak

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I think you should make sure the SDHC driver had been successfully built into your image, and do you see any thing in WinCE's control panel -> storage manager? If can  please try the demo image first.

If you still failed to make the SD card work, please reference to the BSP release note for the followed item in "Known Defects".

ENGR131976

Failed to format/mount some SD/MMC cards by Storage Manager or App calling File System API “FormatStore”.

Workaround:

MSFT has confirmed this issue and provided a workaround.

The SD card can be formatted by following procedure:

• Launch the storage properties dialog

• In " store info" select the sd memory device.

• Press the properties button which will pop up the "partition properties" dialog box

• Press the "Dismount" button

• Press the "format" button

0 Kudos
DeepakKukreja
Contributor III

Hi Jimmy,

My problem was that even though I had created a FILE-SYSTEM partition on the SD-CARD from EBOOT menu and FAT32 formatted it, I was unable to see the "Storage Card" in "My Device" on my iMX51 EVK.

But now its working and I found out that after formatting the File System partition I need to set the File System Partition as the ACTIVE partition.

Regards

Deepak

0 Kudos
DeepakKukreja
Contributor III

Hi Jimmy,

I went ahead to give your steps a try as well, here is what I did

1. In a blank SD CARD, Copy the EBOOT using the ATK Tool.
  2. Download the nk.bin from the platform builder.
  3. From the EBOOT menu, from the MMC/SD-CARD utilities, create a file-system partition.
  4. Plug the SD-CARD into a Windows machine and format the partition created for the File-system as a FAT32 partition. (NOTE: I didn't make the file-system partition as an ACTIVE partition this time).
  5. Plug the card back into the EVK, the OS boots, but the storage card is not available in "My Device"
  6. I went to the "Settings" > "Control Panel" > "Storage Manager". The Store Info shows the "DSK1: SD Memory Card"
  7. BUT in Partitions, there are no partitions shown, so I cannot go to the partitions properties.

Only when I set the File System partition as an ACTIVE partition, does the partition appear in the Storage Manager.

I guess that until the file system partition is an ACTIVE partition, the partition is not mounted by the Windows BSP.

Regards

Deepak

0 Kudos