AnsweredAssumed Answered

Kernel options for MX53 custom hardware ?

Question asked by George Pontis on Jan 26, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 by George Pontis

Hi Group,

I'm working with custom hardware based on the MX53. I tried a quick port using the tools that were most familiar to me, which was buildroot and a generic 3.2 kernel. It came up quickly and looks pretty good. However, it does not look like it has much or any support for the IPU. I need the IPU for one simple thing, which is to capture snapshots from a 12b grayscale image sensor. I also need some support for the MC34708, which I am using in a manner very close to that in the rev B Quickstart board.

Since the Freescale 2.6.35 kernel has such good peripheral support, I set about to try that one too. Eventually I got it to boot, but have never been able to make it work without some problems. The problems seem to be related to the power management. After a normal boot of the kernel, the power supply current drops down quite a bit and the response to commands at the console is slow and stuttered. For instance, it takes 10s of seconds to display the output of "dmesg".

I also tried the 3.0.36 kernel that I found on the Freescale site. This looked atttractive initially, as it had more modern and cleaner board support stuff, and also the IPU support. But it would not build for the MX5; as best I recall there were some unresolved mq6 symbols.

Eventually I need to get Adeos ( p/o Xenomai project ) running on this hardware. Adeos is applied as a patch to a stock kernel. I don't know how practical it would be to try applying it to the 2.6.35 Freescale kernel which already has such a large number of patches.

Oh, one other thing. I do not need or want the dynamic voltage and frequency control. When I tried to turn it off in the Freescale 2.6.35 kernel, it would not build due to unresolved references.

So, it seems that my choices are these:

1) Resolve problems with the Freescale 2.6.35 kernel on my hardware, and try to apply the Adeos patch

2) Start with my working build based on a newer 3.x kernel, which I know can be patched for Adeos. Then port IPU and MC34708 support to it.

Your thoughts ?

Outcomes