Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P4080 NAND support

Jump to solution
dickginther
Contributor III

Hi,

I am just looking into a P4080 design and would like to use a 2GByte SLC NAND for booting and storage.  The device that I am considering is

the MT29F16G08ABA device (x8 data bus with page size 4096 + 224).   The page size looks larger than what the manual states (2048) so I

am wondering if such a device is supported.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It is not supported.  There has been some effort towards a use-at-your-own-risk hack to make it work -- see [U-Boot,v4] nand: Hack to support 4k page in fsl_elbc_nand - Patchwork.

That patch has not yet been fully reviewed and tested, nor is there a Linux equivalent yet.  Another option may be to connect the NAND via UPM rather than FCM, but then you lose hardware ECC and the ability to boot from NAND.

Please use a 2K-page NAND chip if at all possible.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dickginther
Contributor III

Thanks, that helps.  Do you know if the Samsung K9K8G08UD0-SIB000 has software/hardware support for the P4080.  This is a 2K device that we already use for some i.mx5 apps.

0 Kudos
scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I don't have datasheets for specific NAND chips.  If it's a 2K-page device and only requires 1 bit of ECC per 512 data bytes, and is 8-bit wide, it should work -- barring any unexpected weirdness, of course.

0 Kudos
scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It is not supported.  There has been some effort towards a use-at-your-own-risk hack to make it work -- see [U-Boot,v4] nand: Hack to support 4k page in fsl_elbc_nand - Patchwork.

That patch has not yet been fully reviewed and tested, nor is there a Linux equivalent yet.  Another option may be to connect the NAND via UPM rather than FCM, but then you lose hardware ECC and the ability to boot from NAND.

Please use a 2K-page NAND chip if at all possible.

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Also note that hardware ECC on eLBC FCM is limited to 1-bit correction per 512 data bytes, so if your NAND chip requires 4-bit ECC correction you'll have to use software ECC regardless.  Using software ECC with the eLBC FCM driver is not currently supported, though it should not be difficult to enable compared to dealing with the 4K page issue.