Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Run the Point-to-Point (PPP) Example Application, MQX 4.0, TWRK60N512

Jump to solution
ThomNet
Contributor III

Hi,

did anybody in the freescale forum already testet the above example "How to Run the Point-to-Point (PPP) Example Application" with the following parameters:

Client:

- TWRK60N512 with TWR-SER1 using ittyd and the PE micro console as my stdio (TTYF).

- IAR Workbench

- rtcs_shell_twrk60n512 example

Host:

- Laptop with Windows XP

I rebuild all mqx files. ITTYD is set to 1

On the shell I'm using the command: "PPP client ittyd", like it is described.

My PE micro console is giving me:

"Please wait initiate PPP connection. Waiting...."

And after a while:

"Error: The connection attemp failed because the modem (or other connecting device) on the remote computer is out of order"

I'm getting no reaction on the PC's side.

I'm testing (also with an oscilloscope) with HyperTerminal on the Laptop, if any ascii codes are send by the serial port of the TWR-SER1- board. No data at all.

Shouldn't there at least some ascii characters coming out of the serial port!?

Does anyone have an idea, why the client is not sending any data to establish the ppp connection as a client?

Does anyone know where to look in the port driver, what it is doing?

Does anyone have other ideas, how to test and what to test or visualize?

Thanks for any hint or help

all the best

Thomas

Labels (1)
1 Solution
karelm_
Contributor IV

Hi,

Yes I have also tested TWR-K60N512 set as PPP client with same configuration as in files that I attached to last message. Here is console output from board in client mode:

Shell (build: Jan 16 2013)

Copyright (c) 2008 Freescale Semiconductor;

shell>

shell> ppp client ittyd:

Please wait initiate PPP connection.  Waiting...

PPP link On

PPP_link = 1, time = 4

PPP device on ittyd: is bound on.

PPP local  address is : 192.168.1.103

PPP remote address is : 192.168.1.101

Now PPP connection is established on 192.168.1.101

shell>

shell> ping 192.168.1.101

Pinging  [192.168.1.101]:

Reply from 192.168.1.101: time=38ms

Reply from 192.168.1.101: time=40ms

shell>

shell> ppp stop

PPP link Off

PPP connection closed

However my tests was run on Windows 7 PC, but there should be no difference in PPP behavior. Do you by any chance use some kind of firewall?

Best regards,

Karel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ThomNet
Contributor III

Hi Karel,

thanks for your answer. My setup is like yours. MQX is rebuild.

Question: From what you have described, you are running the TWR-K60N512 system in ppp server mode. Did you testet the ppp application in client mode as described in the pdf as well.

In client mode, my application is not working, like I described. In server mode my PC (under Windows XP)  is connecting to my TOWER system, you can see it on the PCs screen. But, when I try to PING 192.168.0.217 from the TOWER I'm getting timeouts in the console display. When I PING from the PC it shows me, that it is connect.

Also: I'm not getting the messages from the pdf, instead I'm getting: "PPP link on" and "PPP link off". It does not say, that it is connected to the IP-address 192.168.0.217.

Could you check and tell me, what you get on your console. Thanks in advance.

All my best

Thomas

0 Kudos
karelm_
Contributor IV

Hi,

Yes I have also tested TWR-K60N512 set as PPP client with same configuration as in files that I attached to last message. Here is console output from board in client mode:

Shell (build: Jan 16 2013)

Copyright (c) 2008 Freescale Semiconductor;

shell>

shell> ppp client ittyd:

Please wait initiate PPP connection.  Waiting...

PPP link On

PPP_link = 1, time = 4

PPP device on ittyd: is bound on.

PPP local  address is : 192.168.1.103

PPP remote address is : 192.168.1.101

Now PPP connection is established on 192.168.1.101

shell>

shell> ping 192.168.1.101

Pinging  [192.168.1.101]:

Reply from 192.168.1.101: time=38ms

shell>

shell> ppp stop

PPP link Off

PPP connection closed

However my tests was run on Windows 7 PC, but there should be no difference in PPP behavior. Do you by any chance use some kind of firewall?

Best regards,

Karel

0 Kudos
ThomNet
Contributor III

Hi Karel,

thanks again for your quick reply.

I have no clou, why your system is running and my system not.

Cause I'm in a phase to connect an HSDPA modul from company u-blox to my system via PPP - which is also not working at this time - I want to make sure that a PPP solution between a PC and my system is running 100% ok ...... before I start to talk to the tech people from u-blox.

Could you do me a favour: Could you make 2 fotos from your SER and your K60 boards an send them to me, so that I can check all my jumpers against yours.

I removed all my jumpers to the default states, but still something must be different. I also reinstalled MQX 4.0 to the first birthday state, recompiled all the files, as described, changed all the settings, but still not 100% luck.

Would be great, if I could get those pictures, then I can concentrate on the software only.

Thanks in advance

Thomas

0 Kudos
ThomNet
Contributor III

Hi Karel,

forget my last picture request.

I works now. I had a firewall funktion aktive for the ppp connection. Was not easy to find out.

Thanks again, the firewall hint from you was the important advice.

All the best

Thomas

0 Kudos
karelm_
Contributor IV

Hi Thomas,

That's good news. I am glad PPP connection works for you now.

Best regards

Karel

0 Kudos
karelm_
Contributor IV

Hi,

I tested PPP in rtcs_shell example from MQX 4.0 on TWRK60N512 and it seems to work fine. From your description it seems that PPP uses wrong communication device or no device at all. Please check that you used following settings and recompile all MQX libraries (or you can use attached files):

in file config.h in folder with rtcs_shell example:

#define DEMOCFG_ENABLE_PPP         1

#define PPP_DEVICE                            "ittyd:"

#define PPP_DEVICE_RAS                    1

in user_config.h for your board:

#define BSPCFG_ENABLE_ITTYD                         1

#define BSPCFG_ENABLE_TTYF                          1

#define RTCSCFG_ENABLE_VIRTUAL_ROUTES    1

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL                   "ttyf:" // Communication channel for console

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL_DEFINED

#define BSPCFG_UARTX_QUEUE_SIZE                 128  // This setting is required so you do not lose packets

#define BSPCFG_SCI3_QUEUE_SIZE                    128

#define BSPCFG_SCI3_BAUD_RATE                     115200 // You can set your own baud rate here

Using this setting data should be visible on pins A43 and A44 on freescale tower primary connector. Also double check that jumper setting on both TWR-SER and TWRK60N512. Jumpers should be set according to MQX getting started manual. For better debugging of your application you can use some kind of serial port monitoring software such as Free Serial Port Monitor: Download HHD Software Free Serial Port Monitor

Best regards,

Karel