AnsweredAssumed Answered

Debug connector on FRDM board going bad. Any suggestions?

Question asked by injunear on Dec 17, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2012 by Pedro Augusto Panecatl Salas

Hello,

I have been using one of my FRDM boards exclusively for about three months now. I can't even guess how many times I have plugged and unplugged the debug USB connector; hundreds, if not a couple of thousands, of times. The connector has recently become intermittent.

Has this been an issue with anyone else?

I was not able to find any information about a warranty on the Freescale website. Is there one? Would it cover a worn out USB connector?

Are there any quick fixes to keep the connector, and thus the board, usable a while longer? For instance, can one cut through the plastic cover and bend the leaf spring that holds the plug in place, or is the problem likely something else?

Being a development board, one would expect the debug port to be used countless times. What is the life expectancy of the connector?

Even if the board is soon to become trash, I have three more with which I can continue developing. At $13 a board, I really can't complain if the connector can only be used 2-3000 times.

I am not expecting 5 star repair service. I am just asking what the options are, and what the life expectancy of the connector is.

Thank you.

Outcomes