Questions about making an add on board for Saber Lite i.MX6 board.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about making an add on board for Saber Lite i.MX6 board.

Jump to solution
RodneyFulk
Contributor III

I  am relatively new to building my own hardware but I am trying to understand a couple things about this board.

This board has 2 available UART ports and a I2C port from what I can tell.

When installing a Touch Screen the I2C port is populated.

My understanding of the I2C protocol is that it is a buss with multiple device availability for it.

So if I am understanding correctly I should be able to daisy chain multiple I2C devices off this port and they should all work as long as the devices don't share the same ID? I assume the UART is a specialized Serial port.

Also, I seem to be running into this concept that a hobbyist will run into very high costs in building boards.

I am thinking of building a board for myself and I would breadboard most of the work first, then using open source software design a board and make my own board to test out the design. Assuming everything works as intended then I can look at slowly ramping up production if there is interest. It would be a learning experience for me.

Thanks!

Rodney

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

So 3 I2C can connect 12 devices. If still not enough, you can use the GPIO as an I2C.

One I2C connect 4 devices normally. The experience tell us that the I2C data communication will not stable after connected 5 devices.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Normally, one I2C connect 4 devices and the devices are not the same ID.

RodneyFulk
Contributor III

Ok, so I really only have 3 I2C ports if I use the LVDS screen since the touch screen takes up 1 I2C address?

I really need to read up more on these to understand them better..

Is the limitation in the protocol or the board its self?

Thank you!

Rodney

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

So 3 I2C can connect 12 devices. If still not enough, you can use the GPIO as an I2C.

One I2C connect 4 devices normally. The experience tell us that the I2C data communication will not stable after connected 5 devices.

0 Kudos