Using MQX source code in non-MQX Kinetis-target project

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using MQX source code in non-MQX Kinetis-target project

polarlight
Contributor I

We are using Kinetis processors in our products currently. We have legacy codes and good accumulated experience in certain other non-silicon-vendor-bound RTOS and want to use C++-based overall SW-architecture-

1. Is it completely free of cost to use MQX-related source codes, mainly the driver source codes in a non-MQX project for Kinetis processors?

2. Are the MQX driver source codes dependent on MQX RTOS or generic c-implementations that could be used easily under any RTOS ?

3. Are there any ready-to-use cost-free and/or open source support for MQX-based software simulation in Windows and Linux ?

By this I mean implementation of MQX RTOS for Windows and Linux plus some driver stubs/ports so that they too compile under Win/Linux allowing the software application logic layers to be developed and tested in pc completely. Practical example:  MQX serial driver could be implemented (partially) with the same API to that it uses Windows or Linux serial port. Naturally certain I/O drivers have no equivalent thing in PC OS/hw platforms, but in that case those driver ports would have places for user to add simulation of those I/O actions.

4. Could somebody give me the URL of the full MQX software license text.  I tried to find it, but wasn't able to.

Any other related limitations and restrictions could be mentioned too. I already know that users are not allowed to create their own ports from MQX related source codes.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Martin_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ad 1)
The MQX license doesn't grant to licensees, except as expressly provided with MQX license agreement, any express or implied rights under any Freescale or third-party patents, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secrets.

Ad 2)
It depends on which driver.
There are some with POSIX like interface. Others, for example Low Power Manager, are bound closely to MQX.
check the MQX IO Drivers User's Guide document.

Ad 3)
I'm afraid I don't know such a tool.

Ad 4)
The complete license agreement text shows up before you can download the installation package from www.freescale.com/mqx

Try the link below (download Freescale MQX 3.8.1):

https://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/download/license.jsp?colCode=FSLMQXOS_3_8_1&appType=file2&locat...

polarlight
Contributor I

Thank you for the answers!

However, in the Ad 1) I would say you are going a little bit behind a lawyer's back and don't quite answer the question.

I am not a lawyer myself and that is why I asked the question. As far as I understand, we could use the MQX source codes, including the driver source codes without MQX RTOS itself as long as we use those specific source codes only for our products with Freescale Kinetis. At least I did not find any reference in the License text to something that you could not use only parts of MQX source codes and in fact, the requirement to use all the codes or nothing would not make sense either. People of course use the parts they need - under license restrictions.

Any further clarification (or correction if I am wrong) on this would help, but otherwise I interpret the answer to this question as above. However, it is a separate question in our company if we actually will use those source codes or not. Currently we are not using them.

0 Kudos