How do I setup an Android Build environment?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I setup an Android Build environment?

Jump to solution
RodneyFulk
Contributor III

I am trying to get to where I can build an android image for my board. Currently I have an IMX53QSB but I will also be picking up an IMX6 solo development board in the next month or so.

First step is deciding what version of Ubuntu to use, Seems that 11.10 is the most recent build I can find that is stable. I have an LTIB setup on a VM right now that seems to build my linux stuff fine although I have yet to test the build images on my board. I thought 12.04 was working but LTIB errored out when I tried to reconfigure the kernel.

I currently have the 4.2 release of gingerbread for my board and I am stuck at the "setup your host" step.

The android.com page is very out dated and some of the packages are not available or have been replaced from their scripts.

When I used 12.04 it did seem to install everything and It went through the build cycle seemingly fine but I never actually tested those built images to make sure they worked.

Anyhow, in the end I am trying to build 1 VM I can do all of my IMX development from. I want to be able to build my kernels for linux or android as well as for the imx53 qsb or my soon to purchase imx6 solo lite board.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Rodney Fulk

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Rodney,

I would suggest you to use Ubuntu 11.04 to build Android (I have personally used it without any problems), just make sure you install all the updates before starting and follow the user guide, specially the PC setup steps, located here:

Initializing a Build Environment | Android Open Source

Please let me know how it goes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Rodney,

I would suggest you to use Ubuntu 11.04 to build Android (I have personally used it without any problems), just make sure you install all the updates before starting and follow the user guide, specially the PC setup steps, located here:

Initializing a Build Environment | Android Open Source

Please let me know how it goes

0 Kudos
RodneyFulk
Contributor III

I used that link. That link has out dated information.

The packages it lists I am assuming were for either 10.04 or 11.10

then they have an additional line for 10.04 and an additional line for 11.10.

When I tried these last night on 11.10 it was missing a number of packages. I was able to install it into 12.04 but I had to install the listed packages three times before it completed it. The list must be out of sequence or something.  I WAS able to compile the android source this morning but I haven't been able to try it out yet. I am still tinkering around with it to try to figure out what version works. When I compiled it the only complaint it had was about a ram disk image not being available.

I didn't have my debug computer turned on and tried to boot it up and see what would happen. My touch screen is a eGalax based USB touch screen with VGA video and I am guessing it is setup to use the LVDS screen.

0 Kudos