Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help: install + identify USBDM pcb hardware revision

Jump to solution
adioltean
Contributor I

Hi all,

First, a big thanks to the creators of USBDM - pretty amazing stuff!

I acquired this device over eBay in the hope of starting off quickly, but I have trouble identifying the actual version of the device and using the software.

Questions

- What USBDM revision does this correspond to? Looks like an older version (V2.0) of the PCB not the latest 3.0 version.

- What software version should I use?

- Any recommended firmware updates?

- What OS should I install the software on? (I use Windows 7 64-bit)

Here is a high-res picture of the board http://img02.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i2/37306034/T2VBWpXb4bXXXXXXXX_!!37306034.jpg

T2VBWpXb4bXXXXXXXX_!!37306034.jpg

This seems somewhat similar with the latest V3 of the USBDM/CF JMxx v4.10.3 but without the Kinetis adapters. http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.10/USBDM_CF_JMxx/html/USBDM_CF_SER.jpg

Details:

1) The board processor is JM60 (MCS9S08JM60CLD)

2) The board "version" states Freescale_BDM   V2.0   2011-03-01

3) The USB device is not recognized by the latest USBDM 4.10 software. Its hardware ID is USB\VID_16D0&PID_0567&REV_0410 and the instance path is USB\VID_16D0&PID_0567\USBDM-JMXX-CF-0001  (the REV0410 seems to suggest the 4.10 firmware or something like this?)

4) The board has three adapters: 26-pin JTAG, 14-pin JTAG and the well-known 6-pin BDM adapter.

5) The USBDM software installation completed fine with the default options

Granted, I installed USBDM 4.10 on a 64-bit version of Windows 7, so it might be a driver installation issue. Or maybe the device is toasted.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Adi

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Adi,

The board does not correspond directly with any of the "official" example PCBs that I published.

From its appearance it is approximately equivalent to the USBDM-V2 which is similar to V3 but with the following changes omissions:

V3 vs V2

• Serial interface may not be buffered
  • Kinetis connector absent (requires an adapter from coldfire connector or similar).

On your board specifically:

• Has an extra LED
  • RS08 power is not populated
  • Has some jumpers - I don't know what for.

All the USBDM-JM60 deluxe boards use the same firmware so I would suggest updating to the latest version.  The firmware updater will identify the correct firmware providing the existing firmware is standard.

The driver installation should have also been straight forward using the drivers provided with V4.10.3. Note these are a separate download!  The use of zadig is no longer recommended - did you install the drivers with V4.10.3?  If so, I'm puzzled by the difficulty unless the firmware was very old (using the earlier bootloader).

bye

Message was edited by: Peter O Donoghue Corrected version numbers!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
adioltean
Contributor I

(Just replying with the list of remaining questions)

- Based on the information above, what would be the PCB version? Are there some PCB design schematics on sourceforge for this particular version?

- What is the exact firmware version on the device?

- Can I safely upgrade the firmware to the latest version? I installed USBDM 4.10.3. Just wanted to make sure I don't brick the device ...

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Adi,

The board does not correspond directly with any of the "official" example PCBs that I published.

From its appearance it is approximately equivalent to the USBDM-V2 which is similar to V3 but with the following changes omissions:

V3 vs V2

• Serial interface may not be buffered
  • Kinetis connector absent (requires an adapter from coldfire connector or similar).

On your board specifically:

• Has an extra LED
  • RS08 power is not populated
  • Has some jumpers - I don't know what for.

All the USBDM-JM60 deluxe boards use the same firmware so I would suggest updating to the latest version.  The firmware updater will identify the correct firmware providing the existing firmware is standard.

The driver installation should have also been straight forward using the drivers provided with V4.10.3. Note these are a separate download!  The use of zadig is no longer recommended - did you install the drivers with V4.10.3?  If so, I'm puzzled by the difficulty unless the firmware was very old (using the earlier bootloader).

bye

Message was edited by: Peter O Donoghue Corrected version numbers!

0 Kudos
adioltean
Contributor I

Thanks!

Found the original drivers and installed them (after uninstalling and removing my generated driver). It works fine now.

The reason why I missed it. I did not notice the separate USBDM_Drivers_1_0_1_Win_x64.msi in the sourceforge, as I just installed the package at http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbdm

The 4.9 USB driver page had more detailed instructions but the latest version does not mention the need to install the MSI above. http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.10/USBDM_CF_JMxx/html/driver_page.html - you might want to edit this page to mention this extra file.

One more (dumb) question: would this board support ARM-SWD or only JTAG? My targets would be Kinetis devices

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Adi,

On the page you linked, the section:

Installation of USBDM USB drivers for Windows

was meant to explain the change to separate driver installation but (obviously) it could do with some improvement!:smileysilly:

The board will only support the ARM-JTAG interface unfortunately.  There is a table on this page that summarises this:

USBDM: USBDM Debugger interface for Freescale RS08,HCS08,HCS12,Coldfire and ARM-Kinetis Devices.

bye

adioltean
Contributor I

Hi guys, problem solved (so far!). The drivers were missing.

Digging in the USBDM help, I found this page in an older version (4.9). USBDM (JMxx Version): USB Driver Installation (Interestingly enough this was missing from 4.10 - editing problem?)

I tried first the libusb-win32 which also contains a INF generator program. By using the proper PID/VID I was able to make it work somehow (the driver installation was 100% succesful) but then the USBDM tools wouldn't recognize the new device.

Digging in the same USBDM 4.9 page I found another tool called Zadig (the tool has since moved to GitHub here: Home · pbatard/libwdi Wiki · GitHub (or, see libwdi - Browse /zadig at SourceForge.net for the direct download location), With Zadig, I was able to reinstall properly the device.

After this, the "openbdm" command in the TCL interpreter worked. Yes!

% openbdm

Found 1 devices

USBDM DLL Version = 4.10.3

BDM Version = HW=8C, SW=49

0 Kudos