TomE

Copy/Paste doesn't work in this Forum

Discussion created by TomE on Nov 14, 2012
Latest reply on May 12, 2015 by TomE

Here's a small piece of text: "a small piece of text".

I've just copied it and am about to paste it here: <"a small piece of text">.

That worked. Let's try it again here: <"a small piece of text">.

Now I'll copy two lines from a FreeScale Reference Manual here (and then colour it RED): <

Flash memory is ideal for single-supply applications allowing for field reprogramming without requiring

external high voltage sources for program or erase operations.

Flash memory is ideal for single-supply applications allowing for field reprogramming without requiring

>

OK, now I'll do that again here:<

> and colour it GREEN

And again here <> and colour it BLUE

And again here <> and colour it PURPLE

In all cases I had the cursor inside the "<>", but in all cases the paste put the text immediately after the previous paste!

I'll now try to copy/paste the PURPLE one above here and then colour it BROWN: <>

That was unexpected. It just pasted above where you see it!

This makes replying to a post and copying previous parts of it VERY DIFFICULT. It is also impossible to paste sections from a Reference Manual.

I'm having to manually RETYPE sections of manuals because the Copy/Paste function simply doesn't work.

Copy/Paste has been working properly since at least 1984 (the original Macintosh)

OK, I've got it nailed. It can copy WORDS and SINGLE LINES, but if anything has a line-break in it, it pastes it to the wrong place in the text.

So one work-around is to paste blocks of text one line at a time, or to copy - paste into Notepad, remove all line breaks, copy, paste into here, reinsert the line breaks.

The other work-around is to drop back into HTML-editing mode and cut-and-paste there.

How did this ever get past basic testing? I can supposedly "include a Video", but I can't paste more than one line of text?

Please add a Test Case for this simple operation and get it fixed ASAP.

I've tested this in Firefox 16.0.2 under Linux and IE-8 under Windows XP with the same result.

Tom

Outcomes