Do I have a bricked board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have a bricked board?

chop
Contributor I

Received my board this afternoon , played with the touch pad, accelerometer etc All as expected , thought I'd have a look at the OpenSDA side of things :-  Press RST, Connect up, release RST  ,   device comes up as Bootloader  as expected . Drag the required  MSD-FRDM-KL25Z from the OpenSDA Applications folder then power down and restart ,  comes up directly as Bootloader . , D4 flashing away green and no other sign of life otherwise , The Demo program is obviously gone , plugging into the "KL25Z" USB socket gives nothing at all , plugging into the "OpenSDA" USB socket just goes directly to the bootloader ,

Are these boards that finicky ? Is there any way to restore the thing ? Do I have a hi-tech drinks coaster?

Art

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

chop
Contributor I

Well , progress zero !! , Just received a second board ( Against my better judgement i decided to give it another try !!) once again played with the touch pad etc. all good , went through the recommended setup and ended up now with TWO boards that do not do what the book says!!   , original application has obviously been deleted ( no response when USB lead connected to KL25Z USB socket)  and board shows up as "BOOTLOADER"  when connected via the SDA USB socket , but when I go through the process of cutting  and pasting  the required .SDA  program , powering down and then powering up again I'm still "BOOTLOADER"

Any help would be much appreciated , I've had no problems with STM32F4 Discovery boards and have my Stellaris boards playing quite happily ( even using Energia , an arduino lookalike  for the Stellaris ARM board)  , I'm happily programming 9s08 boards with Codewarrior etc. etc. so I don't consider myself a total moron with MCUs , but this "simple", "Easy to use" board seems to defy any attempts by me :-)

Almost wondering if there's something in my XP setup that is odd and preventing correctr operation of the Freedom board

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Are you having any explorer extension (like FileCommander, etc) installed. I have seen issues with these kind of utilities. What seems to work is to use the DOS/command prompt instead. So instead of copy/paste the file, try to copy it from the command prompt?

Erich

0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I
0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I
0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I

Bad form to answer your own questions .... However , As I've given up on gatting the board going I thought I would check out the current consumptions , found out that the main processor chip was taking about 2.4mA  and the SDA chip was running at 19mA ( 22mA when green LED on ) , seems to me that for a supposed low current device that's way too high , Seems to indicate that I do have a bricked board.

Another point which may be of some interest , when adding a coin cell holder , BEWARE , the two through hole attachment points will fit a normal standard plastic two pin coin cell holder perfectly  , but all that will do is short out the coin cell as they are both the positive terminal ( There may be another "+" sign on the board near TP8 , but on my board it would be covered by the rubber foot ) 

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Download the KL25_SC package from web:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/software/KL25_SC.exe?fsrch=1&sr=2

And follow the documentation inside to flash binaries, debug with Codewarrior, IAR or Keil.

You will find more about FREEDOM  and CodeWarrior is this web:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/

Best Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I

Thank you for the swift reply , I will have a look at the package and

the mcuoneclipse site . Hopefully I may salvage something ( though with

the price of the Freedom board , it will not be too drastic if it's a

total loss !!!!

Regards Art

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Sure, you can flash and debug applications with the board.

Latest drivers and OpenSDA applications in : www.pemicro.com/opensda

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I

From what I can see everything depends on having a working OpenSDA

system and it's fairly obvious that mine is not !! , It shows as being

in bootloader mode ( flashing green light ) but does nothing with any

files moved to the "bootloader " drive .

Looks like I DO have a bricked board !!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Art

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Install the Pemicro drivers.

What is the name of the Drive do you see when connect the FRDM board? BOOTLOADER?

Disconnect the USB cable, Press button and connect the USB cable with button pressed, release the button and yo have to get the OpenSDA drive MSD bootloader. Then drag and drop the DEBUG-APP_Pemicro_v102.SDA file.

Unplug the USB cable and plug again.

Let me know..

Luis

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Here are two links which might help:

- verify that your USB drivers are ok: Fixing the USB Drivers | MCU on Eclipse

- Instructions to switch between bootloader and debugging application: OpenSDA on the Freedom KL25Z Board | MCU on Eclipse

Hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I
0 Kudos

chop
Contributor I
0 Kudos