Debug connect problems in CodeWarrior 10.3 on Win XP in VirtualBox on Ubuntu 12.04

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug connect problems in CodeWarrior 10.3 on Win XP in VirtualBox on Ubuntu 12.04

Jump to solution
injunear1
Contributor IV

For others trying this: along with installing the drivers in windows as described in a number of other places, one also needs 3 USB drivers installed in the USB Settings of VirtualBox; one for the MSD mode, one for the Bootloader mode, and one for P&E Debug mode.

MSD mode: Vendor ID (VID) 1357, Product ID (PID) 0707

Bootloader mode: VID 2504, PID 0200

Debug mode: VID 1357, PID 0087

At one point I was not able to connect with all the extra text in the other fields in one of the driver configurations so I deleted everything but the VID and PID. (I am hoping that is not the cause of the following problem. ;-)

I spent the last 3 days trying to find all the little settings that allowed me to run CodeWarrior on VirtualBox. I finally got it running except for not being able to connect to the board in Run or Debug Configurations.

I go to Debug Configuration, I select a project (including the downloaded program example, ”FreedomTSITest”) and the “Connection” shows my project name, as expected. I select Edit and make sure the Target shows my project name.

However, under the target name, the Connection type shows P&E ARM Multilink etc. The drop down menu gives me two other selections, neither of which I expect are valid for my situation.

Below that, in the Connection tab, my interface is listed as OpenSDA Embedded Debug - USB port, and that is what I expect to see.

Lastly, in the “Port” field I see “Port undetected” etc., which I expect is not the correct setting.

I tried unplugging, replugging, and refreshing countless times.

I tried loading the 102, 101, and 100 versions of the debug driver onto the bootloader (reset down while powering on) and I am quite stuck at the moment.

I have read everything on this site and both the Element14 and MCU on Eclipse sites that relates to CodeWarrior 10.3 and anything remotely related to this issue. (Probably 4-5 times each at least.)

I am humbly asking for any suggestions or solutions anyone cares to offer.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
injunear1
Contributor IV

Thank you for all the help. Somehow I got it working. I am not sure how. Eventually I tried adding a rules file and changing fuse.config.

As I mentioned earlier, I had previously uninstalled CodeWarrior, Windows XP and VirtrualBox. I then downloaded the most recent version of VirtualBox and installed it. (Which was an excellent suggestion. Thank you Matthew.) Then installed Win XP, and then CodeWarrior. I got all the drivers set correctly and was at the point I had been before.

Everything seemed to work except I still could not connect to the board in Debug mode from CodeWarrior.

Then I made the following changes to my Ubuntu system.

I added the file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/56-CodeWarrior-VBox.rules

with the content:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2504", MODE="0666"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1357", MODE="0666"

Then I modified:

/etc/fuse.config

by removing the "#" from in front of:

#user_allow_other

Lastly, I added my user name to the fuse group.

(Similar changes were required in another USB device I was working with a while back.) It still did not work, so I uninstalled and reinstalled CodeWarrior once again, and, by God's grace, it finally worked.

I don't know if I made other relevant changes, or indeed if these changes made any difference at all. Perhaps I just needed to reinstall CodeWarrior once again, as Matthew suggested.

At any rate, I am happy to call this problem "Answered" for now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
injunear1
Contributor IV

Thank you for all the help. Somehow I got it working. I am not sure how. Eventually I tried adding a rules file and changing fuse.config.

As I mentioned earlier, I had previously uninstalled CodeWarrior, Windows XP and VirtrualBox. I then downloaded the most recent version of VirtualBox and installed it. (Which was an excellent suggestion. Thank you Matthew.) Then installed Win XP, and then CodeWarrior. I got all the drivers set correctly and was at the point I had been before.

Everything seemed to work except I still could not connect to the board in Debug mode from CodeWarrior.

Then I made the following changes to my Ubuntu system.

I added the file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/56-CodeWarrior-VBox.rules

with the content:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2504", MODE="0666"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1357", MODE="0666"

Then I modified:

/etc/fuse.config

by removing the "#" from in front of:

#user_allow_other

Lastly, I added my user name to the fuse group.

(Similar changes were required in another USB device I was working with a while back.) It still did not work, so I uninstalled and reinstalled CodeWarrior once again, and, by God's grace, it finally worked.

I don't know if I made other relevant changes, or indeed if these changes made any difference at all. Perhaps I just needed to reinstall CodeWarrior once again, as Matthew suggested.

At any rate, I am happy to call this problem "Answered" for now.

0 Kudos
Smiffytech
Contributor III

I don't have the exactly same setup as you, but what I do have is probably close enough.

I have everything working with CW10.3 on Win7 and - to try to match what you have - have just tried it on an XP VM.

My host operating system is Debian Wheezy, but I'm not sure if this is relevant, as the appropriate kernel drivers should get built as part of the VirtualBox installation (official version) or come bundled with the package (distro version.)

First thing that sprang to mind is to ask what version of VirtualBox you are running, and from where you got it.

In the past, I have encountered a number of problems with VirtualBox, when I have installed the distribution vendor's supplied version (out of date, buggy.) I now use the ONLY latest, official, Oracle versions from

Linux_Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox

If you are not using this version, my suggestion would be to uninstall VirtualBox and replaced it with the "official" .deb, then try again.

As regards the Windows drivers, when I set up on XP just then, I used the ones that came with CodeWarrior. On my Win7 VM, I used the latest ones from PE Micro - both have worked fine. All the problems I was having came down to the confusion about the debugger, and the fact that the board doesn't come loaded with it by default. Once Erich Styger had pointed out the folly of my ways, everything has worked fine ever since.

Oh, the other mistake I've made before is to forget to enable the USB device in VirtualBox - really wish I could make them automatic/persistent ;-)

injunear1
Contributor IV

Thank you for the quick response. I started trying it within an hour of your post. I was hoping to write back that you had solved my problems.   ....   Unfortunately, after installing the latest VirtualBox, and Windows XP, and CodeWarrior, and doing my best to figure out which Win drivers to use, I am back where I was.

I don't know if my Windows drivers are messed up, or if I have made a mistake with CodeWarrior, or if VirtualBox is unhappy about something.

If you don't mind me asking, what VID and PID settings do you have for the VirtualBox USB device settings? Do yours match mine as listed above? If not, that is the next thing for me to try. If so then that removes one of my major concerns.

Thank you for your time and help.

0 Kudos
Smiffytech
Contributor III

FYI, here's my dmesg:

[1191240.436552] usb 4-1.5: new full-speed USB device number 46 using ehci_hcd

[1191240.530524] usb 4-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=1357, idProduct=0089

[1191240.530526] usb 4-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0

[1191240.530536] usb 4-1.5: Product: OpenSDA Hardware

[1191240.530537] usb 4-1.5: Manufacturer: P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.

[1191240.530925] cdc_acm 4-1.5:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.

[1191240.530938] cdc_acm 4-1.5:1.0: ttyACM1: USB ACM device

Windows Device manager reflects what's shown on the second line. VirtualBox pop-up adds revision 0800 to the list.

Does that answer your question?

If you are still having issues, I'd suggest uninstalling CW and any extra P&E drivers, then starting with a clean CW install.

0 Kudos