cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I.MX6 Video Decode Capability

Jump to solution
johnlangworthy
Contributor I

Can anybody tell me how many 576p streams of H.264 can be decoded concurrently by the I.MX6 in hardware?

I need it to be 3, but I suspect the answer is 2. In which case, are there any software CODECs avaialble which we can use to decode the 3rd stream?

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Tarek
Senior Contributor I

Yes, You need to patch the fsl gstreamer plugin and add vsmax=32  in this file /usr/share/vssconfig

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ZeeFrench
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello John,

That will depend on H264 profile (BP, MP or HP) / bitrate of your videos but i.MX6 vpu is in theory capable of decoding up to 8 D1@30fps in parallel. Waiting for product launch mid of next month, you will have to go through your local (D)FAE to get access to documentation or tools but there is a demo shown at FTF that demonstrate multiple video decoding : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czuMQWvDbys

Best regards

0 Kudos
Ikshwakuchauhan
Contributor II

Hi,

I am able to play 4 videos on I.MX 6 sabre-lite board. But when I am trying to play 6 videos is showing this error:

createVideoSurface: max surfaces on device support on device0 exceeded

and playing only 4 videos while shooting this error continuously.

Does this mean that we can play only 4 videos max at a time...???

please help..

Regards

Ikshwaku

0 Kudos
timothybean
Contributor IV

Were you ever able to get this resolved? I am getting the same error message when I try to go above 4 videos. Can you please advise on where to make changes?

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
Tarek
Senior Contributor I

Yes, You need to patch the fsl gstreamer plugin and add vsmax=32  in this file /usr/share/vssconfig

0 Kudos
ali_semih_yilma
Contributor II

Does the patch work for imx8mq ?

0 Kudos
ZeeFrench
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ikshwaku,

I confirm hardware can do more (again, depending on the bitrate / resolutions of your videos) and the link is a proof it is possible at least on Android, your issue looks more like a GUI / openGL(ES) configuration issue.

Cheers, Philippe.

0 Kudos