cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeWarrior 10.3 install troubles

Jump to solution
injunear1
Contributor IV

Ee Gad. I have now spent 2 days trying to get CodeWarrior to run on Windows XP. All I have to show for it is a headache.  :-( 

I downloaded the package from the FreeScale site three different times and am on my fifth (or sixth?) install of the day. The first three attempts to install (with three different downloads of the same file) didn’t even finish installing before crashing. I did get two installs to complete with a variety of errors. But when I tried to run the installed CodeWarrior, it immediately crashed.

I also tried to install it in a Win XP virtual machine on my Ubuntu system. You can guess how that went.

I haven’t found anything to explain how to handle installation errors. Is there a compilation somewhere? What are some common install errors?

The “CodeWarrior 10.3 Feedback” thread on the FreeScale website does not lead me to feel optimistic about my purchase of four of the Freedom Boards for my project at work.

I have been very excited about using these boards for a new product we are coming out with. But, how can I program them if I can’t use CodeWarrior?

Where might I find help to get me beyond this dead end please?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, I think this is very likely the reason of your problems. I know that I was using Eclipse/CodeWarrior (10.0 I think) back in time with a machine with only 1 GB of Memory. It was working, but only if I closed everything else and was really careful what functionality I used. XP alone easily used 500-600 MByte of RAM, plus Eclipse needs easily 400 MByte of RAM. Yes, that's a lot, I know. So I got it barely working with 1 GB. Adding 1 GB more RAM was working well, and my current machine has 3 GB of RAM (not a lot compared to 'normal' machines), but no issues with that amount of memory.

So yes, I think you really needs to get a bare minimum of 1.5 GB, while 2 GB or more is for sure good investment.

I hope that this is the problem. It would explain what you are seeing. Because I think the installer to deal with the 1 GB installation file needs some RAM, and with the installer image larger than 700 MByte even your installation might cause all the problems.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
injunear1
Contributor IV

Thank you Erich,

I feel much better now about the possibility of getting CodeWarrior running. I'll call this question answered for now.

0 Kudos
injunear1
Contributor IV

Oh how I hate to write this post, but I have to admit the possibility. The computer I am using to run Windows in order to use CodeWarrior is an older one with only 768MB of RAM. I see the min needed is 2GB. I was hoping to get away with using this configuration, but I suppose I need to go get more memory before I waste anyone else's time.

Can CW run on less than 1GB of RAM or must I correct this before I try anything else?

Thanks

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, I think this is very likely the reason of your problems. I know that I was using Eclipse/CodeWarrior (10.0 I think) back in time with a machine with only 1 GB of Memory. It was working, but only if I closed everything else and was really careful what functionality I used. XP alone easily used 500-600 MByte of RAM, plus Eclipse needs easily 400 MByte of RAM. Yes, that's a lot, I know. So I got it barely working with 1 GB. Adding 1 GB more RAM was working well, and my current machine has 3 GB of RAM (not a lot compared to 'normal' machines), but no issues with that amount of memory.

So yes, I think you really needs to get a bare minimum of 1.5 GB, while 2 GB or more is for sure good investment.

I hope that this is the problem. It would explain what you are seeing. Because I think the installer to deal with the 1 GB installation file needs some RAM, and with the installer image larger than 700 MByte even your installation might cause all the problems.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
injunear1
Contributor IV

The main reason I did not include the error descriptions is because they changed a lot.

The first two install crashes were accompanied with something like: Failed to unpack MCF51QF128.h. Failed to install driver.

At some point a couple of times I got: Close "Found new hardware"  Error code 0x80010000  Cannot load dynamic functions.

A few other times I got "Cannot load library newdev.dll. Module not found. Initializing driver failed.

Currently I am getting: C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.3\eclipse\cwide.exe  This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

I reinstalled one or two more times after I left the post and this seems to be the consistent error at the moment.

Thank you for any help you are able to offer.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

it would be *really* helpful if you could post the actual installation error(s), or anything else which would be helpful to identify the problem.

One thing which comes to my mind is: maybe it is a permission problem on you your machine? I think the installer runs under XP in administrative mode, but to make sure: run it as administrator. And of course your machine should have enough disk space (the installer checks it, but maybe it is somehow wrong on your machine). Or as another idea, that some parts of your system/dll's are screwed up?

I hope this helps, but to help you this forum really needs more information.

Erich

0 Kudos