Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions Regarding iMX53 QSB

Jump to solution
Nitin867
Contributor I

Hi All,

Received my iMX53 QSB today and did up initial work to get familiarize with the same.

As per my project requirements, i have the some questions which i would like to address :

1. How can i inteface an camera with the board through USB port? What are the options available ?

2. SInce there is no wireless module statically attached with the board, what are the options to make the board as a wifi device.? I have Huawei E650 mobile WiFi. Will it make any sense ?

3. Presently the card is uploaded with ubuntu 10.04 lucid. If the existing micro SD card get corrupted, how can i make new one in order to boot the board in same way?

Please reply to the above queries. Any help will be appreciable.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

NItin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at www.freescale.com for the 11.09 BSP, it contains the LTIB tool for building uboot, kernel and rootfs. The Ubuntu rfs image should be on the site as well, so you can use that instead of the one built by LTIB. You can search this site for instructions on setting up an Ubuntu VM ( 10.04 ) to build the BSP and such inside, unless you are using a linux PC for that.

For your other questions I would search this site, USB cameras should not be difficult to get working with gstreamer pipelines, there should be examples here and as far as the wifi, there should be some experience on here for QSB + wifi. If not, you could probably try your wifi dongle and see if it works, if not, make sure the kernel driver is enabled/loaded, but for that you may need to do a customer LTIB build of at least the kernel? IF you try the dongle yourself and report back, someone here can help guide you, if it doesn't work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at www.freescale.com for the 11.09 BSP, it contains the LTIB tool for building uboot, kernel and rootfs. The Ubuntu rfs image should be on the site as well, so you can use that instead of the one built by LTIB. You can search this site for instructions on setting up an Ubuntu VM ( 10.04 ) to build the BSP and such inside, unless you are using a linux PC for that.

For your other questions I would search this site, USB cameras should not be difficult to get working with gstreamer pipelines, there should be examples here and as far as the wifi, there should be some experience on here for QSB + wifi. If not, you could probably try your wifi dongle and see if it works, if not, make sure the kernel driver is enabled/loaded, but for that you may need to do a customer LTIB build of at least the kernel? IF you try the dongle yourself and report back, someone here can help guide you, if it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Nitin867
Contributor I

Thanks for your information Randall.

My query of camera interface still remain unanswered. I didnt find relavant information to interface a camera (WebCam) with iMX53 QSB. Pleasetry to provide some solutions to it. thanks

0 Kudos
RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have you tried to connect a USB camera? I would say to try it and see. It is Ubuntu on imx53, there may be packages you need to install or a new kernel driver needed, but I would suspect for most USB webcams they should work.

0 Kudos
Nitin867
Contributor I

Hi Randall,

Thanks for your information. Just to make sure one more thing,
As you explianed Ubuntu 10.04 on iMX53, will the USB drivers upload to this ARM architecture. For desktop ubuntu 10.04 it is simple but in case of ARM platform, how is it going to work ?

Do i need to install UVC before installing webcam drivers?
Please suggest. Thanks

0 Kudos
RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm not sure what you mean by "will the USB drivers upload to this ARM architecture", the USB drivers for the imx53 should be in the kernel installed on the uSD card.

I think I would boot the QSB with the Ubuntu card, and try connecting my USB webcam and see what happens, it may work, if it does, then you have what you want, if not, you can post the specifics about any errors and we can go from there.

But until you try it, we won't know how to proceed.

-Randy

0 Kudos