cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSPI TX DMA & Periodic Triggering of Long Sequences

Jump to solution
pmt
Contributor V

I'd like to periodically trigger a DMA SPI TX transfer.  Of course this is easily achieved with a timer, DMA with major loop set to the sequence length, and an interrupt routine that writes to the SERQ register to start a DMA.  But I would like to do it using no CPU intervention.

So it looks like I can make use of the PIT and DMA triggering capability.  However, if I understand section "21.4.1 DMA channels with periodic triggering capability" and Figure 21-54 and 21-55 correctly, the PIT trigger gates the "peripheral request"-->"dma request" such that once the peripheral request deactivates you must wait until the next trigger event to be able to reassert the DMA request from the peripheral request.   

Since the DSPI TX has only a four word FIFO this means that I can kick off an SPI DMA transfer, but this is good for only up to four words, upon which time the peripheral request deasserts (FIFO full) until some words are shifted out the SPI.  But even after the SPI is ready for more data I will have to wait until the next trigger interval for any more words to get written to the TX FIFO.  This seems to limit my periodic transfers to only four words.

So my question is what if I have a long SPI sequence of say 16 words that I want to periodically transfer?  Can this be accomplished?  If I set my DMA major loop to 16 words, the functionality I really want is to not gate my DMA request with the PIT, but instead have the PIT assert my DMA Start (SERQ).  Does this functionality exist?

I see indirect ways to do this, perhaps by linking DMA channels where the PIT would cause a short DMA transfer that links to the SPI DMA of another channel (asserting SERQ) and doing the long transfer.  But I'd rather avoid this if possible.

Regards,

pmt

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Just like you mentioned you could set the SERQ to start a transfer in an ISR of the timer to be used.

But in case you do not want to use an ISR, to could try configure one channel to transfer a command to the SPIx_MCR to start the SPI transfer (Using the timer), and configure other DMA channel to start a transfer every TFFF event.

I hope this helps,

Alejandro

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Just like you mentioned you could set the SERQ to start a transfer in an ISR of the timer to be used.

But in case you do not want to use an ISR, to could try configure one channel to transfer a command to the SPIx_MCR to start the SPI transfer (Using the timer), and configure other DMA channel to start a transfer every TFFF event.

I hope this helps,

Alejandro

0 Kudos
pmt
Contributor V

Just a follow up....The more I look at this the more I am convinced that only type of SPI periodic transfer that can be accomplished in hardware is one where you write exactly one FIFO's worth of data every period.  Since the FIFO's can be disabled or enabled, that means I can write exactly one word or four words per interval.

Can anyone provide a example otherwise?

pmt

0 Kudos