Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDCARD creation on MCIMX6Q

Jump to solution
davidclack
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm working on the Sabre for Smart Devices platform.

Does anyone have instructions for creating the bootable sdcard for this device please.

I have an old build on an sdcard that works, but the usb devices on the OTG give errors that the device is not supported (this is most keyboards).

I have downloaded all the latest build from the extranet, just need the instructions for what and where to load it on the sdcard.

Thanks in advance

Dave Clack

Oracle America

Java Division

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JeffKudrick
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

Mark and I worked through the kernel panic issue on his SD card.  If I assume your U-Boot environment is the same as Mark's, the following are the problems booting the Ubuntu file system on your Sabre-SD Platform:

1. In U-Boot environment, the variable bootargs_base has an errant semi-colon after ${bootargs}.  This needs to be removed.
  2. In U-Boot environment, the variable bootargs_mmc needs to be changed to reflect using the touchscreen as the primary display connected to LVDS1.  The change required is "video=mxcfb0:dev=ldb,LDB-XGA,if=RGB666" where mxcfb1 is changed to mxcfb0, and the following is added to the option is added to the variable 'ldb=sin1'.

When the kernel boots, you should be able to see the complete kernel command line in the logs.  If you don't see your complete command line, there still is an issue constructing the kernel command line.

In our tests, we are at a point which I believe Mark has indicated you have already passed and that is missing module packages.

Let me know how this proceeds.  If a problem, please send U-Boot environment along with next response.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JeffKudrick
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dave,

Are you trying to boot Linux or Android?  The documentation provided in the packages provide details on how to construct a bootable SD card.  For example, in the Android documentation, there is a table provided showing each partition, its purpose, its minimal size requirements, and what file system type it should (if supporting a file system).  You can use FDISK to clear out the MBR and partition table by creating each of the partitions you need and writing it out to the card.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
davidclack
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying to do pure linux with Ubuntu desktop.

I'll be testing Java SE Embedded for ARM and a version of JavaFX for ARM.

We are using the Freescale platforms to do our JavaFX for ARM development on.

Thanks

Dave

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Prime Quad Core Tablet

0 Kudos
JeffKudrick
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dave,

What Linux package did you download from the Extranet?  I want to confirm the documentation provides details on how to build a bootable SD card for Linux.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
davidclack
Contributor I

L3.0.35_12.09.01_GA_images_MX6Q.tar

I could not find any instructions at all.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
JeffKudrick
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dave,

If you have access to the extranet release images, you should also see the Release documentation' for the Linux release.  In the release documents, the 'i.MX 6Dual/Quad SABRE-SD Linux User's Guide' has all the sections on how to build and prepare a Linux distribution for booting; for example, Chapter 8 documents how to construct the SD card.

The 'L3.0.35_12.09.01_GA_images_MX6Q.tar' file does not have the Ubuntu root file system (it has the Gnome Mobile root file system), but it should be available on the extranet side in addition to the release documentation; for example, 'ubuntu_oneric_20120801.tar.gz'.

Please let me know if you are unable to locate the release documentation and Ubuntu root file system on the extranet you have access to.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
davidclack
Contributor I

Hi,

This is basically to instructions Mark gave me.

We both follow the steps, we both get kernel panics during boot up.

I'll try again.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
JeffKudrick
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

Mark and I worked through the kernel panic issue on his SD card.  If I assume your U-Boot environment is the same as Mark's, the following are the problems booting the Ubuntu file system on your Sabre-SD Platform:

1. In U-Boot environment, the variable bootargs_base has an errant semi-colon after ${bootargs}.  This needs to be removed.
  2. In U-Boot environment, the variable bootargs_mmc needs to be changed to reflect using the touchscreen as the primary display connected to LVDS1.  The change required is "video=mxcfb0:dev=ldb,LDB-XGA,if=RGB666" where mxcfb1 is changed to mxcfb0, and the following is added to the option is added to the variable 'ldb=sin1'.

When the kernel boots, you should be able to see the complete kernel command line in the logs.  If you don't see your complete command line, there still is an issue constructing the kernel command line.

In our tests, we are at a point which I believe Mark has indicated you have already passed and that is missing module packages.

Let me know how this proceeds.  If a problem, please send U-Boot environment along with next response.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
davidclack
Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for the help, all working now.

Of course I just had to keep pushing, did the upgrade to 12.04.

The Vivante graphics driver is being kicked out by Xorg now with a version mismatch.

Do we have the Vivante driver for 12.04 ?

GlXgears was showing about 120 FPS with the Vivante driver loaded into Xorg, now it's showing only 70 FPS.

I'm getting weird stuff with JavaFX which was the purpose of these tests, somehow it thinks it's running on an i386 system not an arm system.

When I duplicate the arm directory to i386, I get unresolved variables in the run, I'll have to check with my engineering group.

Dave

0 Kudos
JeffKudrick
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

Good to hear Ubuntu is up and running.  As for Ubuntu 12.04, we are not supporting this release.  Is there a specific requirement to have 12.04?

Jeff

0 Kudos
davidclack
Contributor I

Hi,

On the Ubuntu Unity desktop, moving and scaling windows works correctly on 12.04.

If I could get the Xorg Vivante driver source I could build the driver.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos