Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to boot imx-53 Board using USB

Jump to solution
anushavejella
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a Imx-53 Quick start board and i want it to boot from usb flash disk. In IMX53RM.pdf, it is mentioned that iMX53 can use the micro USB port to boot. You have to make the CPU enter serial download mode which polls 5 UARTs and the micro USB port. Can any one explain me how to use USB port for booting. And procedure to flash the USB and the procedure to enter into serial download mode.

Thanks in Advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The easiest way is to remove the uSD card, once it detects uSD not present, it will drop into serial download mode.

You can use the mfg. tool to reprogram, or there is a python script ( https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-1639 ) that will talk to the QSB via the UART console port.

Regards,

Randy Krakora

Field Applications Engineer

Freescale Semiconductor

(765)-860-6622

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
anushavejella
Contributor I

Thanks for your inputs Randy. We are able to boot from uSD slot, and now we want to check possibilities of booting using other ports.

How can i keep Imx-53 QSB in Device mode to boot it using Serial Download/Reprogramming Mode.

Thanks & Regards

Anusha.

0 Kudos
RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The easiest way is to remove the uSD card, once it detects uSD not present, it will drop into serial download mode.

You can use the mfg. tool to reprogram, or there is a python script ( https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-1639 ) that will talk to the QSB via the UART console port.

Regards,

Randy Krakora

Field Applications Engineer

Freescale Semiconductor

(765)-860-6622

0 Kudos
RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The Serial Download/Reprogramming mode is usually used when the QSB is in device mode, so I don't think it will be able to load things from the usb stick in this mode.

How come you don't want to use the uSD slot for booting? ( at least loading uboot and the kernel )

Depending on what you are working on, there are ways to boot across a network connection for easy development on a host ( using tftpboot for kernel and nfs mounting for rfs ). Or you could load uboot and the kernel from uSD and load the rfs from nfs. Or you could load everything from uSD and nfs mount a disk on your host or use dropbear for easily transferring userspace programs to the QSB.

Sorry, I'm giving you a bunch of options, because I don't know how familiar you are with linux development, excuse me if I mentioned things you already know of. :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Randy

0 Kudos