Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX53 quick start board - Micro USB (J3) - detection problem

Jump to solution
haryono
Contributor III

Dear all,

I have an issue with detecting i.MX53 quick start board (running Ubuntu) via Micro USB (J3) connector.

My understanding is that J3 is USB device port, thus if I connect it to my PC's USB port I will be able to detect the board.

Also, the driver is iMX_BulkIO_Driver included in MfgTool.  Btw, my PC is running Windows Vista 32-bit, processor is AMD Turion64.

I started up the board, and after the Ubuntu is fully running, I connected it to my PC, but my PC didn't see the board at all.

I didn't hear anything (normally the PC will make a sound when USB device is connected).  I checked under device manager, no new/unknown device detected either.  I tried this with another quick start board (I have two), as well as with another PC (running Win XP) as well, same result.

My questions are:

1. Did I miss anything? How to make it detectable by the PC? Do I need to do something with some config in the Ubuntu running on the board?

2. Do I need to install the driver first? If yes, how?

3. When it's detected by the PC, will it be detected as USB storage device?

Thank you so much for your help.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you want to transfer some file to your SDCard, the easiest way would be mount it on your PC and copy files to then.

The goal of mass storage is to bring this functionality to your product. If you don´t need this, you have bunch others ways to update your SDCard (dropbear as RandyKrakora said)

In order to g_file_storage work you need to have a device to pass as parameter (file=/dev/XXXX). You can pass any kind of device, such as another partition on your SDCard, or RAM or anything you have.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you want to transfer some file to your SDCard, the easiest way would be mount it on your PC and copy files to then.

The goal of mass storage is to bring this functionality to your product. If you don´t need this, you have bunch others ways to update your SDCard (dropbear as RandyKrakora said)

In order to g_file_storage work you need to have a device to pass as parameter (file=/dev/XXXX). You can pass any kind of device, such as another partition on your SDCard, or RAM or anything you have.

0 Kudos
haryono
Contributor III

Thanks Daiane. Yes, later on the mass storage would be a functionality that needs to exist in the product.

Originally I thought mass storage is enabled or available by the default in i.MX53 Ubuntu.

Thanks for the answer and your help!

0 Kudos
daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

root@imx53qsb:/# umount /dev/mmcblk1p1

root@imx53qsb:/# modprobe g_file_storage file=/dev/mmcblk1p1

g_file_storage gadget: File-backed Storage Gadget, version: 20 November 2008

g_file_storage gadget: Number of LUNs=1

g_file_storage gadget-lun0: ro=0, file: /dev/mmcblk1p1

fsl-usb2-udc: bind to driver g_file_storage

root@imx53qsb:/# g_file_storage gadget: full speed config #1

root@imx53qsb:/# modprobe -r g_file_storage

unregistered gadget driver 'g_file_storage'

root@imx53qsb:/# lsmod

Module                  Size  Used by

root@imx53qsb:/#

I connected another SDCard to me mounted on my Ubuntu machine. And my sdcard is EXT4.

So, I unmounted it (it was automaticaly mounted under /media)

modprobed the g_file_storage driver

And my Ubuntu machine pop-up for new device.

For Windows machine, I think SDCard must be FAT.

UPDATE:

Although I´m pretty sure this is the default configuration. Please, make sure your kernel is correctly configured:

CONFIG_USB_GADGET=y

CONFIG_USB_GADGET_ARC=y

CONFIG_USB_FILE_STORAGE=m

Message was edited by: Daiane Angolini

haryono
Contributor III

Hi Daiane,

Thank you so much. So, I will be able to access the SD card under /media (from PC), right?

Btw, what did you mean by:

"For Windows machine, I think SDCard must be FAT." ?

The SD card is running Ubuntu (from Freescale), I assume it is not FAT, but Linux FS, right?

0 Kudos
haryono
Contributor III

Btw, I am confused. Did you try it by inserting SD card on your Ubuntu machine?

What I'm trying to do is to detect the i.MX53 quickstart board when I connect it to my PC though. I assume there's an area in the SD card (a folder in Ubuntu) that will become accessible from my PC (treat it as flash storage).

0 Kudos
daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
I assume there's an area in the SD card (a folder in Ubuntu) that will become accessible from my PC (treat it as flash storage).

The area in SDCard, in my case, is the entire second SDCard.

I have 2 sdcard. One to load the system, with the rootfs, and another way, that I mounted (via USB cable) on my Ubuntu machine

Message was edited by: Daiane Angolini

0 Kudos
haryono
Contributor III

So, since I only have one SDCard (which is running the system), will I still be able to access a folder in it from my PC?

My goal originally was to be able to copy file across the USB cable. Will it work for this purpose?

Or should I use samba server instead?

0 Kudos
RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You could enable dropbear ssh in your ltib build and use scp from you Linux machine to copy files across.

Regards,

Randy Krakora

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It sounds like you want the mfg. tool running on your PC and to detect the QSB from the PC to reprogram it?

The easiest way is to remove the uSD card from the QSB, plug the USB cable from your PC into the QSB and then boot the QSB, since there is no boot device ( i.e. uSD is removed from QSB ), it will drop into serial reprogramming mode.

Once it is detected by the mfg. tool running on the PC, you can re-insert the uSD to the QSB and have the mfg. tool write to that uSD card. ( I would recommend using a separate uSD card, I like to always keep at least one good copy intact ).

-Randy

0 Kudos
haryono
Contributor III

Hi Randy,

No, that's not my goal. But I learn from you about serial reprogramming mode.

Thanks, it will come handy should I need it in the future.

0 Kudos
haryono
Contributor III

Is there anybody can help.....? Please?

0 Kudos
daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Is there another USB device you´ve been using at the same time?

Take a look at schematic and you will see there are 2 USB connector cannot be used at same time.

What´s the kernel version you are using? It would be better to use the latest.

Have usb mounted and detected by windows is not the same as by linux. You need to make sure your kernel has RNDIS enabled.

As I know iMX_BulkIO_Driver is used only for mfgtools. I´m not sure you need this for MTD.

Sorry, I really don´t have expertise with mounting things on windows. I use an Ubuntu machine for work with imx. Although, I may try to help you.

0 Kudos
haryono
Contributor III

Hi Daiane,

I connected a mouse and a keyboard to the J2 (USB Host) connector. J3 is directly connected to my computer.

I tried to unplug the mouse and keyboard, and then plug in J3 to my computer, still, the same result.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Lucid-desktop 2.6.35.3-744.

I see, are you saying that I need to enable RNDIS in Ubuntu so that Windows can detect it?

MTD? Memory Tech Device? Did you mean accessing it as storage?

Does your Ubuntu machine detected iMX board when you plug it in? Do you need to so additional steps to make it work/detectable?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
MTD? Memory Tech Device? Did you mean accessing it as storage?

YES :smileysilly:

As I remember, my ubuntu can detect a new device, but I need to manually mount it.

I don´t have any board today with me, but I can test it tomorrow if needed

0 Kudos
haryono
Contributor III

Hi Daiane,

Sure... if you don't mind.

Thank you so much :smileyhappy:

I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos