AN4447: Low power optimization using MQX

AN4450: Using PE to quickly use common communication interfaces on Kinetis

AN4470: Using low power modes on Kinetis family

Thanks!:smileyhappy:

12 Replies

wje
Contributor I

Hi,

concerning AN4396: "Using CEA709.1 features in Kinetis MCU", I do have some Questions.

On one hand its is mentioned in AN4445, that the CEA709.1 feature is new and that it is available in Mask set 2N22D in MK10....

But on the other hand KINETIS_2N22D "Mask Set Errata for Mask 2N22D" mentioned Errata ID 4935: "UART: CEA709.1 features not supported".

Which of the mentioned statements is rigth?

Which Kinetis CPU's are supporting the CEA709.1 feature? I'm looking for a scalable solution.

By playing with the software that came with AN4396, I found that at least the "send"-feature on a MK20DX128 seems to work, even on mask set 1N86B.

Therefore I need to know if there is a more detailed description of the (broken) CEA709.1 features with a cross reference ot the Kinetis family, before going deeper in evaluation.

Thanks,

wje

0 Kudos

melissa_hunter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Right now we are not supporting LON functionality on any of the Kinetis processors. LON functionality was implemented on several devices, but we found some problems with the implementation that make its use impractical. The app note was written before the problems were found and the LON functionality was defeatured.

The app note should be removed from the web as it non longer applies. I'll put in a request to have it removed.

Regards,

Melissa

0 Kudos

wje
Contributor I

Ok, I understand that there are some issues with the LON functionality in the actual Kinetis family masks.

But are there any activities planned to improve this feature in the near or far future?

Or will the LON feature be dropped entirely in future Kinetis masks?

Regards,

wje

0 Kudos

melissa_hunter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Wolfgang,

On the existing products there aren't any plans to pick up changes that would allow us to remove the errata disallowing use of LON. However, future Kinetis products could fully support the LON functionality.

-Melissa

0 Kudos

williamely
Contributor IV

On a scale from 0 (works) to 10 (MCU catches fire) how busted is the LON implementation?:smileylaugh:

The Errata Wolfgang mentioned says "Due to some issues that affect compliance with the specification, the CEA709.1 features of the UART module are not supported".

I'm not interested in compliance with the CEA709 standard but I am interested in a serial communication device with collision detection that can work over power-lines.

Will the implementation work as long as I only use devices with the busted LON?

If the LON is totally busted then the data sheets should be updated to remove the references to the feature.

0 Kudos

melissa_hunter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi William,

The CEA709 implementation does function as described in the manual. The major issues are due to some misinterpretation of the spec and how CEA709 has actually been used in practice. So trying to add a new node to an existing network using one of our parts is problematic. However, if you're building a new network from the ground up using the same Kinetis parts (or at least Kinetis parts with the same CEA709 implementation) for all the nodes, then that can be done. One caveat that could impact you is that the CEA709 was implemented so that the RTS and CTS signals don't function in the mode. So if you were planning to use RS-485, then you won't have an easy way to enable the transmitter on the transceiver. Other than that I don't think you'd be impacted by any of the other problems we found unless you were trying to communicate with a non-Kinetis node.

Hope this helps,

Melissa

williamely
Contributor IV

Thanks for the quick, helpful, and detailed response! The text in the errata doc makes more sense now.

0 Kudos

Mike_d
Contributor IV

Hi,

In AN4369 there is mention of an example that does not use MQX.  I cannot find this in the .zip file that accompanies it.  Perhaps it was intended to be main.c but main_task.c and main.c are identical and are both MQX based.  Please advise.

Thanks,

-Mike

0 Kudos

OldNick
Contributor IV

I think there is an appnote that shows how to interface micro-SD card to USB MSD on kwikstick.

(Later hardware)

Makes Kwikstick look like pen-drive to host PC

But it is not in the list above, and I cannot find it.

?

0 Kudos

dacil
Contributor III

The pen drive that you are talking about might have been a demo, since we don't have such an app note. Unfortunately, demos do not have documentation. The only kiwkstik app note that we have is the following one:

AN4406KwikStik EzPort Programmer
0 Kudos

ignisuti
Contributor IV

I bet your users could benefit from Kinetis specific Watchdog and Bootloader app notes.

0 Kudos

dacil
Contributor III

Hi Joe,

We do have several bootloader app notes. I invite you to read them and give us all your feedback. The ANs are:

AN4367Freescale Ethernet boot loader for MCU V1.0
AN4370USB DFU boot loader for MCU
AN4368Freescale USB MSD host boot loader for MCU V1.0
AN4379Freescale USB MSD device boot loader for MCU
AN2295Developer's serial bootloader
0 Kudos