AnsweredAssumed Answered

Debugger collapses expanded struct at breakpoint

Question asked by Robert Lewis on Sep 24, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 by Robert Lewis

In CW10.x when I have set a breakpoint, and expanded a struct variable in the variables window, CW will often collapse the struct view when I run to the repeated breakpoint in a loop at the same spot. This is obviously a major time waste to have to expand what is often a complex structure to look at a nested variable.

1) Is there anyway to prevent this from happening; it doesn't seem to do it all the time, but most of the time.

2) I have to set the variable display format to hex everytime I load the program for each variable. Is there a persistent setting in the debugger that allows the default format to be hex?

3) often the variables window will go blank when I leave a breakpoint andn it remains that way until I click on it; then usually the variables are all collapsed again.

What I think should happen is the variables window should stay exactly as it is until it is changed. It should be a trivial excersise for the developers to keep a list of the properties of the variables being viewed in the debugger, and restore these properties to the variables window when a breakpoint is hit.

This constant collapsing and clearing the contents in the variables window is like trying to read a book in a wind storm with the pages blowing back and forth. No one would do that, but we forced into this situation with the debugger.

Is there anyway around these issues. Thanks for the help.

Regards

Robert

Outcomes